Holy See–Malaysia relations
|Apostolic Nunciature to Malaysia||Malaysian Embassy, Holy See|
|Apostolic Nuncio Archbishop Joseph Salvador Marino||Ambassador Vacant|
Holy See–Malaysia relations (Latin: Sanctus videre elit, rationes; Italian: Relazioni tra Santa Sede e Malesia; French: Relations entre le Saint-Siège et la Malaisie; Malay: Hubungan Malaysia–Takhta Suci; Jawi: هوبوڠن مليسيا–تختا سوچي) are foreign relations between the Holy See and Malaysia.
In 2002, Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad visited the Vatican to meet Pope John Paul II. During the second visit of the next Malaysian Prime Minister, Najib Razak and Pope Benedict XVI at the Apostolic Palace in Castel Gandolfo, an agreement to establish diplomatic relations between the Holy See and Malaysia was finalised. Malaysia became the 179th state to establish diplomatic relations with the Holy See.
The Holy See previously had an apostolic delegation, based in Bangkok, for the country. Pending the appointment of the first Nuncio to Malaysia, the papal representative in Bangkok continued to act as Apostolic Delegate for Malaysia, accredited to the Catholic Church in the country but not to the Government. In January 2013, American archbishop Joseph Salvador Marino was appointed as the first nuncio to Malaysia.
- "Dr Mahathir in historic meeting with the Pope". Utusan Malaysia. 8 June 2002. Retrieved 15 May 2009.
- "Comunicato della Sala Stampa della Santa Sede: Udienza al Primo Ministro della Malaysia" (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 18 July 2011. Archived from the original on 20 March 2012. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- T. Selva (18 July 2011). "Najib: Malaysia to establish diplomatic ties with The Vatican". The Star. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- "Malaysia establishes diplomatic ties with Vatican". BBC News. 18 July 2011. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- "Archbishop G. Angelo Becciu inaugurates new Nunciature in Malaysia". Vatican Radio. 24 November 2017. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Pope receives first Resident Malaysian Ambassador to the Holy See". Vatican Radio. The Herald. 10 June 2015. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Papal delegate positive about M'sia-Vatican ties". The Catholic News, Archdiocese of Singapore. 20 November 2011. Archived from the original on 16 December 2017. Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- Greg Garrison (16 January 2013). "Pope appoints Birmingham native Archbishop Joseph Marino to Malaysia". Alabama Media Group. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- Linda Bordoni (9 June 2016). "Pope receives first Resident Malaysian Ambassador to the Holy See". Vatican Radio. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- Natasha Joibi (24 November 2017). "Vatican opens official chancery in Kuala Lumpur". The Star. Retrieved 16 December 2017.