Holy Shrine Defender
|Part of a series on:|
Supreme Leader of Iran
Intelligence Protection Organization
Imam Hossein University
University of Command and Staff
As al-monitor reports, "defenders of the shrines" is referred to advisers and military personals who fight at the Shia holy sites located in Iraq and Syria that have been targeted by Sunni rebels. Afghan and Pakistani fighters who fight with Liwa Fatemiyoun or Liwa Zainebiyoun are also considered to be Holy Shrine Defenders.
On April 2013, Al-Nusra Front associated with Al-Qaeda in Syria  disinterred the dead body of Hujr ibn 'Adi  and threatened to repeat this action at Zaynab bint Ali ’s shrine.  Hassan Nasrallah answered that such as these actions has negative consequences. Also he said about forces who defend Zaynab bint Ali ’s shrine.
On August 2012, Syrian opposition forces attacked to Al-Mashhad area of Aleppo in Syria. After this event, some groups decided to defend the shrine of Sakinah, Daughter of Husayn ibn Ali. While Abolfazl al-Abbas Brigade in Iraq was established on January 2013 and they went to Syria for defending Zaynab bint Ali ’s shrine, using the term of Holy Shrine Defenders was widely spread in the Iranian Media on April 2013.
At first days of Syrian Civil War, a truck carrying explosives was moved toward Zaynab bint Ali ’s shrine by forces of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. So that publication of such as news lead many volunteers departs to Syria to defend. 
- "خبرگزاری تسنیم - تشییع پیکر شهید مدافع حرم ابوالفضل نیکزاد". خبرگزاری تسنیم - Tasnim (in Persian). 2016-07-17. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- "Speaker: Holy Shrine defenders guarantee Iran's security, dignity". The Iran Project. 2017-08-14. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- Staff, writer. "2,100 Iran fighters killed in Iraq, Syria". al-monitor. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- Staff, Writer. "Iran confirms IRGC members death in Israel attack on Syrian airfield". trend. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "Liwa al-Fatemiyoun: Martyrdom Graphic". Jihad Intel. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Iran: Afghan Children Recruited to Fight in Syria. Protection Gaps Increase Children's Vulnerability". Human Rights Watch. 1 October 2017. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "جبهه النصره مسئولیت نبش قبر مزار «حجر بن عدی» را برعهده گرفت". farsnews. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "شكل گيري هسته هاي سپاه بين المللي شيعيان براي دفاع ازحرم حضرت زينب با نام ابوالفضل العباس". mehrnews. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "مسؤول نبش قبر حجر بن عدی". alalam. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "تروريستهاي وهابي در سوريه: بزودی قبر زينب[ع] را هم نبش ميکنيم". mashreghnews. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "سخنرانی دبیر کل حزب الله لبنان، دربارهی بحران سوریه و پهپاد یافت شده بر فراز مدیترانه". moqawama. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "who are "Holy Shrine Defender"?". nedaesfahan. Retrieved 13 March 2017.