Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters
The nuns live a contemplative life, focused on perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, offering intercessory prayers for the world. Inside the cloister the nuns wear rose-colored habits in honor of the Holy Spirit. As a consequence of these habits these nuns are nicknamed the "Pink Sisters."
The congregation was founded in 1896 in the Netherlands by Saint Arnold Janssen, a German diocesan priest who had first founded in 1875 the Society of the Divine Word in the Dutch border village of Steyl, and in 1889 the Missionary Sisters Servants of the Holy Spirit. Janssen was canonized on October 5, 2003, by Pope John Paul II.
The first house abroad was established in Pennsylvania, United States in 1915 by Mother Mary Michael (Adolfine Tönnies) (1862 - 1934), upon the invitation of Archbishop Edmund Francis Pendergast.
- Anton Freitag, Tabernakelwacht und Weltmission. Steyl 1918 (1921 2nd ed.)
- Anton Freitag, Tabernakelwacht en wereldmissie. Uden 1923.
- Burning lamps : Mother Mary Michaele : co-foundress Sister-Servants of the Holy Spirit of Perpetual Adoration, 1862-1934. St. Louis, 1968. 183 pp.
- Karl Müller SVD, Kontemplation und Mission. Steyler Anbetungsschwestern 1896-1996,Steyler Verlag: Nettetal 1996, XII + 532 pp. + Bilddokumentation, ISBN 3-8050-0374-9
- Karl Müller SVD, Contemplation and Mission. Sister Servants of the Holy Spirit of Perpetual Adoration 1896-1996, translated by Frank Mansfield SVD, 448 pp., Steyler Verlag: Nettetal (Germany) 1998, ISBN 3-8050-0419-2
- Josef Alt SVD, Journey in Faith. The Missionary Life of Arnold Janssen, Studia Instituti Missiologici SVD 78, Steyler Verlag: Nettetal 2002, XVIII + 1078 S., ISBN 3-8050-0471-0
- Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters in Lincoln, NE
- Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters in Philadelphia, PA
- Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters in St. Louis, MO
- Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters in Utrecht, Netherlands
- Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters in Poland
- Picture of the Sisters
|This Catholic Church–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|