Holy Trinity Church, Capenhurst
|Holy Trinity Church, Capenhurst|
Holy Trinity Church, Capenhurst, from the southeast
|OS grid reference|
|Website||Holy Trinity, Capenhurst|
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||1 June 1967|
|Architect(s)||James Harrison, John Douglas|
|Materials||Sandstone, roof of purple tiles|
|Parish||Holy Trinity, Capenhurst|
|Vicar(s)||Revd Stephen Martin Southgate|
Holy Trinity Church, Capenhurst is in the village of Capenhurst, Cheshire, England. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Wirral South. Its benefice is combined with that of St Oswald, Backford.
The church is built in red sandstone blocks with ashlar dressings. The roof is of purple tiles. Its plan consists of a four-bay nave, a south porch, a two-bay chancel, a vestry, and a west tower with spire. The tower is in three stages with buttresses and it has an octagonal stair turret at the southwest corner. On the west of the tower is a three-light window a clock above it. Around the top of the tower is a timber-framed stage which carries a broach spire with small Lakeland slates and a louvred lucarne.
Internally the reredos is of stone with panels on each side carved in the manner of medieval tiles with the Ten Commandments inscribed in Arts and Crafts style script. The stained glass in the church is all by Herbert Bryans, a pupil of Kempe, and is dated from 1876 to a date after 1900. There is a ring of six bells which were cast by John Taylor and Company in 1919.
- Listed buildings in Capenhurst
- List of works by James Harrison
- List of church restorations, amendments and furniture by John Douglas
- Historic England, "Church of the Holy Trinity, Capenhurst (1130574)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 2 April 2012
- Holy Trinity, Capenhurst, Church of England, retrieved 2 October 2009
- Hartwell, Clare; Hyde, Matthew; Hubbard, Edward; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2011) , Cheshire, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 201, ISBN 978-0-300-17043-6
- Capenhurst Holy Trinity, Dove's Guide for Church Bell Ringers, retrieved 13 August 2008
- CAPENHURST (HOLY TRINITY) CHURCHYARD, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, retrieved 3 February 2013