Holy Trinity Church, Sunderland
It is unknown who built the church, but what is known for sure is that Daniel Newcombe – who was appointed rector – and William Etty were involved in some of its design. A plaque marking its Grade I listed building status credits Etty as the designer. In its early years, the building was also home to the Select Vestrymen — in effect the town council — and the library and the mechanical fire pump.
The church is no longer used for regular worship. This grade 1 listed building is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, and is being restored with support from The Heritage Lottery Fund and other funders.
- 1712 — Local merchants campaign for a new church to be built.
- 1719 — First recorded baptisms, of Primus Barwick and Mary Whiton, on July 25.
- 1719 — Church consecrated on September 5.
- 1735 — Near-circular apse with Venetian window added by Daniel Newcombe, as the church initially had no chancel.
- 1803 — Gallery added, roof reconstructed by Thomas Wilson and windows re-glazed
- 1838 — Memorial erected to Reverend Robert Gray, rector from 1819 to 1838.
- 1856 — Clockface on tower added.
- 1842 – Gallery extension constructed, but later removed.
- 1900 (circa) – Windows re-glazed for the second time.
- 1936 – Organ built.
- 1939–1945 – slight war damage
- 1980s – building in need of expensive repairs
- 1988 – cost of renovation and dwindling congregation cause the final service to be held on June 26, and church then closes a few days later.
Jack Crawford memorial in the graveyard
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Holy Trinity, Sunderland.|
- Grade I listed buildings in Tyne and Wear
- List of churches preserved by the Churches Conservation Trust in Northern England
- BBC Wear Online. "Holy Trinity Church - photo gallery (image 1)". Retrieved 2007-04-07.
- Wearside Online. "Holy Trinity Church". Retrieved 2007-04-07.
- "tomorrows-history.com - Church of the Holy Trinity". Archived from the original on 2007-09-11. Retrieved 2007-04-07.
- Sunderland Public Library Service. "Local Studies Centre Factsheet No. 3 - Old Sunderland Parish Church" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-04-07.
- BBC Wear Online. "Holy Trinity Church - photo gallery (image 4)". Retrieved 2007-04-07.
- Holy Trinity Church, Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, Churches Conservation Trust, retrieved 18 October 2016
- Church Gazetteer. "Sunderland, Holy Trinity". Archived from the original on 2004-03-28. Retrieved 2004-04-07.
- BBC Wear Online. "Holy Trinity Church - photo gallery (image 3)". Retrieved 7 April 2007.