Holy Week procession
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A Holy Week procession is a public ritual march of clergy and penitents which takes place during Holy Week in countries which have a Roman Catholic culture. Various images of the saints, especially the Virgin Mary, and most importantly the image of the crucified Christ are carried aloft by foot as a penance; acts of mortification are carried out; traditional hymns and chants are sung (except during the silent processions of Good Friday). In many penitential orders, the faces of the penitents are covered by elaborate hoods, such as the capirote, as a way of hiding one's identity in order to not ostentatiously draw attention to oneself while performing penance. Crosses, and biers holding Catholic holy images surrounded with flowers and offerings of candles, are carried usually from one parish church to another led by the clergy, monastic orders, or heads of the penitential orders.
- Palm Sunday: The day when Jesus arrived in Jerusalem.
- Holy Thursday: The day when Jesus shared the Last Supper with His Apostles, followed by the beginning of his Passion.
- Good Friday: Jesus' crucifixion, performed in 14 stations.
- Holy Saturday: Loneliness of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the day that Jesus Christ's body lay in the tomb.
- Easter Sunday: The resurrection of the Christ.
Places famous for their Holy Week processions include:
See also Holy Week processions in Guatemala
- Castile and León
- Castile-La Mancha
- Region of Murcia
- Other regions
Renowned sculptors of Holy Week pasos include:
- Pedro Berruguete
- Gil de Siloé
- Juan de Juni
- Francisco Salzillo
- Juan de Mesa
- Gregorio Fernández
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Taranto.|
- Qromi Malta
- Semana Santa – University of Guadalajara, Mexico (in Spanish)
- Holy Week in Málaga
- Holy Week in Taranto – Italy (in English - Spanish)
- Salzillo Processions in Murcia.
- Semana Santa Andina – Peru (in Spanish)
- Semana Santa in Popayán
- Semana Santa in Tunia, a small town near Popayan
- Holy Week in Lower Aragon
- Video Holy Week Procession El Encuentro in Alcañiz
- Holy Week in Nicaragua
- Holy Week Processions in Marikina City
- Eyewitness description of Holy Week processions in Cartagena
- Holy Week Procession in Baliuag, Bulacan