Homa Bay Airport
|Homa Bay Airport|
|Operator||Kenya Airports Authority|
|Location||Homa Bay, Homa Bay County, Kenya|
|Opened||28 January 2016|
|Elevation AMSL||4,242 ft / 1,293 m|
Homa Bay Airport (ICAO: HKHB), also known as Kabunde Airstrip, is an airport located 6 km (3.7 mi) from the town of Homa Bay in Homa Bay County, Kenya. It was modernised in 2015 and received its first commercial flights in January 2016.
In May 2015, the Kenya Airports Authority started to upgrade the airstrip, one of three airstrips across Kenya to be modernised, the others being Migwena Airstrip and Kisii Airport. The upgrade was carried out to improve air service in the area, as residents previously had to travel to the distant Kisumu International Airport; and to boost tourism and business in the region.
The modernisation cost Sh200 million and was contracted to Glanack Investment Ltd Co. The runway was extended to 1.2 km (0.75 mi) and an apron was constructed. In addition, fencing around the airport was reinforced; and the road between Homa Bay and Rongo, which is used to access the airport, was tarmacked.
In late January 2016, the airport was cleared to receive commercial flights, and a final inspection was carried out on 27 January. The first passenger flights landed at Homa Bay on 28 January 2016.
Airlines and destinations
- Ochieng, Justus (30 April 2015). "KAA Sh200m Kabunde airstrip upgrade". The Star. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- Omoro, James (26 April 2015). "Airstrip set for Sh200m facelift to boost economy". Standard Digital News. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- Mutai, Michael. "HOMA BAY: Kabunde Airstrip Cleared To Receive Commercial Flights". Radio Jambo. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- "Kabunde, Kenya set to open to traffic next month". Ch-aviation. 21 January 2016. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- Koech, David (29 January 2016). "Homa Bay Residents Crowd Runway To Receive Raila at Newly Refurbished Airstrip". Nairobi Wire. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- Length of Runway At Homa Bay Airport