List of personal finance software
Personal finance software can be used to track spending, create budgets, and plan for future expenses. Some software differs by feature support, software code and development transparency, mobile app features, import methods, Monetization model, privacy and data storage practices.
The use of expense tracking, budgeting, and other personal finance software carries some risk, most notably is due to the disclosure of a username, password, or other account credentials used to automatically synchronize banking information with an expense tracking application. Another significant area of risk is due to sensitive personal information that is stored anytime data is digitized. This risk may be compounded based on the security the software vendor has implemented as well as the availability of the data and where specifically it is stored (online or a local application). An often overlooked form of risk is due to the monetization model and privacy practices of the vendor or software provider, whether the application is "free" or fee based. Open source software is one way of potentially minimizing the risks of privacy and monetization related risks of data exposure.
Free and open-source personal financial management software
|Name||Written in||Operating system||Mobile Presence||Software license||Description||Countries of origin||Last stable release date||Language|
|GnuCash||C, Scheme, C++
Java (Android App)
|Windows, Mac OS, Linux.||Android (limited companion app)||GPL, Apache License 2 (Android App)||Personal and small-business financial-accounting software that supports tracking bank accounts, stocks, income and expenses.||3.4 / 30 Dec 2018||Multilingual|
|HomeBank||C, GTK+||OpenBSD, Linux, FreeBSD, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, AmigaOS||GPL||Personal accounting software package||Contributors in multiple countries||5.2.2 / Oct 06, 2018||Multilingual|
|KMyMoney||C++||FreeBSD, Linux, Windows||GPL (v2)||Supports different account types, categorisation of expenses and incomes, reconciliation of bank accounts and import/export to the “QIF” file format||Worldwide||5.0.1 / Mar 10, 2018||Multilingual|
Proprietary personal financial management vendors and software
|Name||Spending Tracking||Budgeting||Investment Tracking||Third-Party Bill Paying||Operating Systems||Mobile Support||Software Type||Direct Cost||Other Monetization Models||Description|
|Mint||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Any||iOS, Android||Web-Based||Free||Financial product referrals|
|Personal Capital||Manual or Automated||Yes||No||Any||Web-Based||Free||Fee-based in-house financial planning. Primarily a wealth management company that provides free services to non-clients.||Offers financial advising for a fee, which establishes a client-fiduciary relationship that they claim makes them less incentivized to sell private client data as they are bound by law to act in their client's best interests.|
|Quicken||Manual or Automated||Yes||Yes||Yes||Windows, Mac OS(limited)||Android, iOS||Web-Based||Yearly fee|
|You Need a Budget||Manual or Automated||Yes||Yes||No||Any||Android, iOS, Apple Watch, Alexa||Web-Based||Monthly Fee||Differentiates itself by providing budgeting advice.|
- "Free Accounting Software". GnuCash. Retrieved 2019-01-14.
- Fet, Ngewi (2019-01-11), Gnucash for Android mobile companion application. : codinguser/gnucash-android, retrieved 2019-01-14
- GnuCash Double-Entry Accounting Program. Contribute to Gnucash/gnucash development by creating an account on GitHub, GnuCash Developers, 2019-01-14, retrieved 2019-01-14
- "HomeBank Support | Free, easy finance software, personal money management for everyone". Launchpad. Canonical Ltd. Retrieved Jan 18, 2018.
- "HomeBank Features | Free, easy finance software, personal money management for everyone". Launchpad. Canonical Ltd. Retrieved Jan 18, 2018.
- "ChangeLog". Retrieved 17 September 2018.
- "Translations : HomeBank". Launchpad. Canonical Ltd. Jan 14, 2018. Retrieved Jan 18, 2018.
- "KDE TechBase:Copyrights - KDE TechBase". KDE TechBase. Retrieved Jan 18, 2018.
- "COPYING file". Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "KMyMoney News". Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "KMyMoney - KMyMoney News". KMyMoney. KDE e.V. Retrieved Feb 23, 2018.
- "How it works". Mint. Retrieved 2019-01-15.
- "Mint bill pay is no longer supported". Mint.com. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- "Privacy". security.intuit.com. Retrieved 2019-01-15.
- "Quicken 2018: Personal Finance, Money Management, Budgeting". Quicken. Retrieved 2019-01-15.
- "Manage your finances on the go with Quicken". Quicken. 2014-10-01. Retrieved 2019-01-15.
- "Pricing | You Need a Budget". YNAB. Retrieved 2019-01-15.