|Pat Vihtelic, CEO|
|Services||Meal delivery service|
Number of employees
Home Chef is a Chicago, Illinois-based meal kit and food delivery company that delivers pre-portioned ingredients and recipes to subscribers weekly in the United States. According to the company it delivers three million meals monthly to its subscribers.
On May 24, 2018, Kroger announced they were acquiring Home Chef for $200 million with an additional $500 million in incentives if certain targets are met by Home Chef. The acquisition closed during the end of June 2018 and the meal kits will begin to be stocked at Kroger stores in the summer of 2018.
Home Chef is a meal delivery service that provides a box of pre-portioned fresh ingredients directly to consumers that are ready to cook. With distribution centers in Chicago, Los Angeles, and Lithonia, Georgia, Home Chef delivers meals to all of the lower 48 states. Each meal kit comes with recyclable packaging, pre-portioned ingredients and meal instructions. The rotating menu includes up to 15 meals for dinner, and the company also provides a weekly breakfast, lunch, smoothie and fruit basket option. Home Chef has the highest satisfaction rating and the lowest customer churn of companies in the meal kit market.
Founder and CEO, Pat Vihtelic started Home Chef in June 2013. In September 2016, the company raised $40 million in funding from consumer focused private equity fund L Catterton. In late 2017, Home Chef starting selling their products via Walmart, which is in addition to its website.
- Ori, Ryan (February 2, 2017). "Home Chef moving HQ to Wrigley Building". Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved January 4, 2018.
- Mangis, Carol (1970-01-01). "Home Chef Meal Delivery Service Review & Rating". PC Magazine. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- "Your lunch, disrupted". Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- Rajn, Brandt Ranj (2017-11-08). "How Home Chef, one of the newest meal subscription boxes, stacks up against its competition". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- Schug, Debra (2 March 2018). "Home Chef opens new Chicagoland-area facility". Food Engineering.
- Neil Stern (May 23, 2018). Kroger Buys Home Chef as the Meal Kit Industry Rapidly Consolidates Forbes. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- Watson, Elaine (1 July 2018). "Home Chef gears up for Kroger meal kit launch: 'We're been solving the dinner next week problem, but not the dinner tonight problem'". Food Navigator. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- Ha, Anthony. "Meal kit service Home Chef raises $40M". TechCrunch. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "The Home Chef Menu For the Week of June 04". Home Chef. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Sims, Bob. "Home Chef secures growth capital". Meat and Poultry. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- "New Market Force Information Study Finds Publix And Wegmans Are America's Favorite Grocery Stores".
- "Meal kit company Home Chef reviews options including sale: sources". Reuters. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 23 December 2017 – via Reuters.
- Linder, Matt. "Home Chef raises $40 million, its biggest funding round yet". DigitalCommerce360.
- "Walmart and Amazon Compete for the $5 Billion Meal-Kit Market That's Slipping Away From Blue Apron". The Motley Fool. 2017-12-19. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- "Home Chef delivers meal kits to those who love to cook, hate to shop". Chicago Tribune.
- "Homemade goodness: Home Chef delivers recipes, ingredients to your doorstep". The Times of Northwest Indiana.
- "We Tried Blue Apron, Hello Fresh and Their 4 Competitors—One Was Clearly the Best". New York Observer. 5 January 2016.
- "Are meal-kit delivery services worth the cost? We tried seven". St. Paul Pioneer Press.