|Patrick Vihtelic, CEO|
|Services||Meal delivery service|
Number of employees
Home Chef is a Chicago, Illinois-based meal kit and food delivery company that delivers pre-portioned ingredients and recipes to subscribers weekly in the United States. According to the company it delivers three million meals monthly to its subscribers.
On May 24, 2018, Kroger announced they were acquiring Home Chef for $200 million with an additional $500 million in incentives if certain targets were met by Home Chef. The acquisition closed during the end of June 2018 and the meal kits began to be stocked at Kroger stores in the middle of 2018.
Home Chef is a meal delivery service that provides a box of pre-portioned fresh ingredients directly to consumers that are ready to cook. With distribution centers in Chicago, Los Angeles, and Lithonia, Georgia, Home Chef delivers meals to all of the lower 48 states. Each meal kit comes with recyclable packaging, pre-portioned ingredients, and meal instructions. The rotating menu includes up to 15 meals for dinner, and the company also provides a weekly breakfast, lunch, smoothie and fruit basket option. In 2017, Home Chef had the highest satisfaction rating and the lowest customer attrition of companies in the meal kit market.
Founder and CEO, Patrick Vihtelic started Home Chef in June 2013. In September 2016, the company raised $40 million in funding from consumer-focused private equity fund L Catterton. In late 2017, Home Chef started selling their products through Walmart, in addition to its website.
In early 2019, Home Chef added a customization feature, where the user can swap the protein, double the amount of protein or upgrade to a higher grade of protein by using the website.
In August 2019, Home Chef launched Fresh and Easy, another meal kit provider and food delivery service. Fresh and Easy delivers fresh meals prepared by chefs before being packaged in heatable bags, which customers then heat before serving. The website was previously used by the unrelated supermarket of the same name.
- Ori, Ryan (February 2, 2017). "Home Chef moving HQ to Wrigley Building". Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved January 4, 2018.
- Mangis, Carol (January 1, 1970). "Home Chef Meal Delivery Service Review & Rating". PC Magazine. Retrieved December 23, 2017.
- "Your lunch, disrupted". Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved December 23, 2017.
- Rajn, Brandt Ranj (November 8, 2017). "How Home Chef, one of the newest meal subscription boxes, stacks up against its competition". Business Insider. Retrieved December 23, 2017.
- Schug, Debra (March 2, 2018). "Home Chef opens new Chicagoland-area facility". Food Engineering.
- Neil Stern (May 23, 2018). Kroger Buys Home Chef as the Meal Kit Industry Rapidly Consolidates Forbes. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- Marotti, Ally. "Kroger deal to acquire Chicago meal kit company Home Chef could be worth as much as $700M". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved April 14, 2020.
- Haddon, Heather (May 23, 2018). "Kroger Buys Meal-Kit Company Home Chef in Latest Online Acquisition". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved April 14, 2020.
- Watson, Elaine (July 1, 2018). "Home Chef gears up for Kroger meal kit launch: 'We're been solving the dinner next week problem, but not the dinner tonight problem'". Food Navigator. Retrieved July 3, 2018.
- "Kroger acquiring Home Chef as it expands into meal delivery space". CNBC. June 1, 2018. Retrieved April 14, 2020.
- Ha, Anthony. "Meal kit service Home Chef raises $40M". TechCrunch. Retrieved September 29, 2016.
- "The Home Chef Menu For the Week of June 04". Home Chef. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- Sims, Bob. "Home Chef secures growth capital". Meat and Poultry. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- "New Market Force Information Study Finds Publix And Wegmans Are America's Favorite Grocery Stores".
- "Meal kit company Home Chef reviews options including sale: sources". Reuters. June 22, 2017. Retrieved December 23, 2017 – via Reuters.
- Linder, Matt. "Home Chef raises $40 million, its biggest funding round yet". DigitalCommerce360.
- "Walmart and Amazon Compete for the $5 Billion Meal-Kit Market That's Slipping Away From Blue Apron". The Motley Fool. December 19, 2017. Retrieved December 23, 2017.
- "Kroger Rolls Out Meal Kits, Curated Assortment at Walgreens". December 5, 2018.
- "Kroger, Home Chef bringing meal kits to more people". February 7, 2019.
- "Healthy Dinner Shortcut: No Ingredient Chopping, No Cleanup, Cheaper Than Groceries". Hungry Girl. September 11, 2019. Retrieved November 28, 2019.
- Hirsch, Scott (August 26, 2019). "Fresh and Easy". Top10.com. Retrieved November 28, 2019.
- "Home Chef delivers meal kits to those who love to cook, hate to shop". Chicago Tribune.
- "Homemade goodness: Home Chef delivers recipes, ingredients to your doorstep". The Times of Northwest Indiana.
- "We Tried Blue Apron, Hello Fresh and Their 4 Competitors—One Was Clearly the Best". New York Observer. January 5, 2016.
- "Are meal-kit delivery services worth the cost? We tried seven". St. Paul Pioneer Press.