Home District Council
The leader of the council was known as the Chairman of the General Quarter Session of Peace. By 1849 the role was replaced by the Warden of York County, Ontario.
The council first met in Newark at Navy Hall in 1792, then to York after 1793.
Home District Council Chairmen
Mr. Jarvis was also provincial secretary and registrar of deeds
- William Allan Esquire JP (b. 1770, Huntley Aberdeenshire, England - d. 1853, Toronto, Province of Canada) 1829-1831
- Alexander Macdonell Esquire JP (b. 1762 Aberchalder, Scotland - d. 1842 Toronto, Province of Canada) 1831-1834
- Mr. Macdonell was also Sheriff of the Home District, who was responsible for order in the town
- Toronto City Council - one of the succeeding bodies in 1834 and headed by Mayor of Toronto
- York Regional Council - from 1834 to 1970 as York County Council; headed by York Regional Chair, which replaced the Warden of York County 1850-1970)
- The Town of York 1793-1815 by Edith G. Firth, Champlain Society 1962
- The Town of York 1815-1834 by Edith G. Firth, Champlain Society 1962