Homeboy (Eric Church song)
|Single by Eric Church|
|from the album Chief|
|Released||February 28, 2011|
|Eric Church singles chronology|
"Homeboy" is a song co-written by American country music artist Eric Church. It was released in February 2011 as the ninth single of his career, and the first from his album Chief. Church wrote the song with Casey Beathard.
In "Homeboy", the narrator addresses a delinquent brother who has taken to a destructive urban lifestyle. The lyrics play on the word "homeboy", turning it into a plea for his brother to "come on home, boy." Church wrote the song with Casey Beathard, who came up with the song's idea after hearing his son say "come on, homeboy" to a friend. He made the song available as a free digital download from his website between February 20 and 24, 2011, although it was not available from retailers until March 8.
Matt Bjorke of Roughstock rated the single four stars out of five, calling it "relatable on many levels" and praising the "interesting musical accompaniment". He thought that the "loud guitars are sure to turn off some people", but thought that the song would appeal to fans of Hank Williams, Jr. or Charlie Daniels. Stephen M. Deusner of Engine 145 gave the song a "thumbs down", calling it "actively, even aggressively bad to the point of insulting, both culturally and musically." He thought that the song stereotyped the urban lifestyle, and thought that the production "topples over into self-parody".
The music video was directed by Peter Zavadil and premiered in May 2011. It was filmed at the former Tennessee State Prison in Nashville, Tennessee, where Church also filmed the video for "Lightning", an album track from his first album. In the video, the brother character is shown being pursued by police officers, jailed, and then leaving jail while realizing the effects of his decisions.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||13|
|US Billboard Hot 100||53|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||52|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||40,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Phillips, Jessica (23 May 2011). "Jailhouse Rock: Eric Church pushes the envelope yet again in his new video for "Homeboy".". Country Weekly. 18 (21): 20–12. ISSN 1074-3235.
- "Church drops new single". Country Standard Time. 14 February 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- ""Homebody" Eric Church gives it away". Country Standard Time. 20 February 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- Bjorke, Matt (14 February 2011). "Eric Church — "Homeboy"". Roughstock. Retrieved 27 April 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Deusner, Stephen M. (1 March 2011). "Eric Church — "Homeboy"". Engine 145. Retrieved 27 April 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Eric Church – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Eric Church. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Eric Church – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Eric Church. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Canadian single certifications – Eric Church – Homeboy". Music Canada. Retrieved February 1, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Eric Church – Homeboy". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved February 4, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH