|Headquarters||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Marc Jones (President & CEO)|
|Brands||Homeland, United, Cash Saver, Country Mart, Piggly Wiggly, Food World, Super Save, Super Save Cost Plus|
Number of employees
Homeland is a supermarket chain in the United States. Homeland is the main supermarket banner of Homeland Acquisition Corporation (H.A.C., Inc.), the supermarket banner's parent company, and the names are often used interchangeably. Homeland's headquarters is in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. As of 2018, it operates 74 supermarkets in Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia and Texas. Many of H.A.C., Inc.'s supermarkets also include pharmacies and fuel centers.
The company traces its history to the first United Supermarket opened in Sayre, Oklahoma by H.D. Snell in 1916. United Supermarkets of Oklahoma became part of Homeland in 2008.
Homeland Stores Inc.
Homeland used to be the Oklahoma division of Safeway, and it was spun off from Safeway in 1987. The "Homeland" name was adopted in 1988. Homeland Stores Inc. operated as an independent chain and, at times, a publicly traded company until 2002.
Subsidiary of A.W.G.
Homeland filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in September 2002, at which point it was bought by and became a subsidiary of Associated Wholesale Grocers. The supermarkets still operate under the "Homeland" name.
In 2004 the company acquired three Country Mart supermarkets in Lawton, Oklahoma. In 2005 the company purchased seven stores in Wichita, Kansas from Falley's. In 2006 the company purchased the remaining fifteen stores from Falley's. In June 2007, Homeland purchased seven stores from the Albertsons grocery chain. In January 2008, Homeland purchased the 26-store United Supermarkets of Oklahoma chain. On November 14, 2008, Homeland purchased five Williams Discount Food stores, formerly Albertsons. This purchase became official December 14, 2008. In August 2011, Homeland purchased the three-store Super Save Food chain.
Employee Owned Company
Homeland was sold to its employees in December 2011.
In 2012, the company converted three stores to the Cash Saver format. In this format, the retail price reflects the cost of the product and 10% is added on at the register.
In September 2013, Homeland's parent company, HAC, Inc. expanded into Georgia by buying 11 of the Belle Foods chain stores; most of those stores bearing the Piggly Wiggly name. The company acquired three additional Georgia locations the following year.
In 2015 the company acquired a location in El Reno, Oklahoma, which was previously operated by Prague Grocery. This location was eventually rebannered as a United Supermarket. The company also converted an additional six locations to the Cash Saver format.
In 2017, the company became a founding member of the Certified EO organization which aims to promote employee ownership. In December 2018, H.A.C., Inc. was honored by The Shelby Report as the South Eastern Retailer of the Year.
As of 2018, H.A.C., Inc. operated the following banners:
- Homeland (31 locations)
- United (17 locations)
- Cash Saver (14 locations)
- Country Mart (3 locations)
- Piggly Wiggly (4 locations)
- Food World (3 locations)
- Super Save (1 locations)
- Super Save Cost Plus (1 location)
- Haysville, KS (Cash Saver)
- Ardmore, OK (Homeland)
- Bartlesville, OK (Homeland and United)
- Bethany, OK (Cash Saver)
- Chickasha, OK (Homeland)
- Cleveland, OK (Cash Saver)
- Clinton, OK (Homeland and United)
- Del City, OK (Cash Saver)
- Duncan, OK (Homeland)
- Edmond, OK (Homeland)
- Elk City, OK (Homeland and United)
- Enid, OK (Cash Saver and United)
- Guthrie, OK (Cash Saver)
- Haskell, OK (Homeland)
- Henryetta, OK (Homeland)
- Jay, OK (Homeland)
- Madill, OK (Cash Saver)
- Marietta, OK (Homeland)
- Muskogee, OK (Homeland)
- Mustang, OK (Cash Saver)
- Norman, OK (Homeland)
- Nowata, OK (Homeland)
- Okemah, OK (Homeland)
- Oklahoma City, OK (Homeland and Cash Saver)
- Pauls Valley, OK (Homeland)
- Perry, OK (Homeland)
- Pryor, OK (Homeland)
- Purcell, Ok (Cash Saver)
- Seminole, OK (Cash Saver)
- Shawnee, OK (Homeland)
- Yukon, OK (Homeland)
- Justin, TX (Homeland)
- Sanger, TX (Super Save Foods)
- "Contact Us". hacretail.com. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "Home". hacretail.com. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- Homeland files for bankruptcy | Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) | Find Articles at BNET.com
- Homeland to sell 10 stores, close 16 | Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) | Find Articles at BNET.com
- Final Albertsons signs taken down, The Oklahoman, August 4, 2007.
- Homeland to Buy United of Oklahoma
- Homeland Stores Purchases Four Super Save Foods Stores in North Texas Archived 2013-01-31 at Archive.today
- Homeland Employees Buy Chain From AWG
- "HAC Seeks To Build Awareness Around Employee-Owned Companies". Shelby Report. 2018-02-14. Retrieved 2018-12-27.
- "December 2018 Shelby Report". indd.adobe.com. Retrieved 2018-12-27.