Homeless (Leona Lewis song)
|Song by Leona Lewis|
|from the album Spirit|
|Label||Sony BMG, J, Syco|
"Homeless" is a song by British singer-songwriter Leona Lewis from her debut studio album, Spirit (2007). The song was written by Swedish songwriter Jörgen Elofsson and produced by Steve Mac. Musically, it is an R&B power ballad, with instrumentation consisting of a piano and a guitar. The song's lyrics revolve around Lewis singing about waiting for her boyfriend to come home to where she is waiting for him, but feels homeless without him. The song garnered mixed reviews from music critics, some of whom praised Lewis's vocal performance but criticized its composition. Upon the release of Spirit, the song debuted at number 173 on the UK Singles Chart on the strength of digital download sales. Lewis performed "Homeless" at the annual WXKS-FM Boston KISS Concert in 2008, along with "Bleeding Love" and "Better in Time". It was also included on the set list of The Labyrinth tour in 2010.
Problems playing this file? See media help.
"Homeless" was written by Swedish songwriter Jörgen Elofsson, and produced by Steve Mac. It is an R&B power ballad, which lasts for a duration of three minutes and 50 seconds. The song was composed on common time in the key of B minor at 68 beats per minute. Instrumentation is provided by a piano and a guitar. Lewis's vocal range spans nearly two octaves from low note of A3 to the high note of B5. The song's lyrics revolve around Lewis singing about waiting for her boyfriend to come home to where she is waiting for him, but feels homeless without his presence. The opening lyrics are "Wait here for you to call me/ For you to tell me that ev'rything's a big mistake." Nick Levine for Digital Spy described Lewis's vocals in the lyric "In this cold I'm walking aimless, feeling helpless" as "a tour de force of despair and misery".
The song garnered mixed reviews from music critics. Matt O'Leary for Virgin Media complimented "Homeless" as well as "I Will Be", and wrote that when the emphasis is laid purely on the singer's vocals without too much "glossy production trappings", her "uniqueness is allowed to shine." Levine was critical of "Homeless" in general, but praised some of its compositional elements. Although he thought that the song was "almost unbearably bleak", Levine praised the long note which Lewis sustains during the bridge, and wrote that "the 12-second 'eeeeeeyeeaayaaaaay' that jump-starts the crescendo of 'Homeless' is one of the most dazzling pop moments of the year." Kitty Empire for The Guardian wrote, "Lewis' voice is impressively elastic throughout but lacks any grit or style. It is too perfect, jumping up ladders of notes on 'Homeless', never catching, never breaking." A reviewer for The Sun described "Homeless" a "string-drenched, tear-jerker."
Lewis performed "Homeless" for the first time at the annual WXKS-FM Boston KISS Concert in 2008, along with "Bleeding Love" and "Better in Time". It was also included on the set list of her The Labyrinth tour in 2010, and performed as the fifteenth song. The song was later included on The Labyrinth Tour Live from The O2 DVD. The set was decorated in the style of a forest; acrobats performed as they were hanging from the ceiling on large pieces of fabric while Lewis wore a light pink sequined dress and barefoot.
- Standard version (2007)
- "Homeless" – 3:50
- Deluxe edition (2008)
- "Homeless (2008 version)" – 3:50
- The Labyrinth Tour: Live from the O2
- "Homeless" (Live from the 02) – 4:09
Upon the release of Spirit, "Homeless" debuted at number 173 on the strength of digital download sales in the chart issue released on 24 November 2007.
|UK Singles Chart (OCC)||173|
- Levine, Nick (12 November 2007). "Leona Lewis: 'Spirit'". Digital Spy. Hachette Filipacchi Médias. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- Spirit (inlay cover). Leona Lewis. Sony BMG, J Records, Syco. 2007. 8 86970 25542 4.
- "Digital Sheet Music, Leona Lewis 'Homeless'". Musicnotes.com. Peer International Music Publishing. 2007.
- "Spirit – Leona Lewis". iTunes Store (Australia). Apple. 5 February 2008. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "Spirit (Deluxe Edition)- Leona Lewis". iTunes Store (Great –Britain). Apple. 28 November 2008. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- O'Leary, Matt. "Leona Lewis: Spirit review". Virgin Media. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- Empire, Kitty (4 November 2007). "The flesh is willing but the spirit is weak". The Guardian. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "Hear new Leona Lewis tracks". The Sun. News International. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Leona Lewis singing Homeless" (video). NME. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "Leona Lewis v Bleeding Love – Live at Kiss 108" (video). YouTube. Google. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "Leona Lewis (Better In Time 5/18/08)" (video). YouTube. Google. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "The Labyrinth Tour: Live At The O2". Amazon.co.uk. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- Wright, Jade (1 June 2010). "Review: Leona Lewis at ECHO arena Liverpool". Liverpool Echo. Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "'Spirit' – Leona Lewis". iTunes Store (Great Britain). Apple. 28 November 2009. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "'The Labyrinth Tour - Live from the O2' – Leona Lewis". iTunes Store (United States). Apple. 14 December 2010. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Chart Log UK: Chart entries update". Official Charts Company. 24 November 2007. Retrieved 25 April 2012.