|Owner||Kerry Group (flour)
Premier Foods (cooking sauces)
1974 (cooking sauces)
In 1963, a technological breakthrough in flour production meant that bakers no longer needed to sift their flour. The new flour product was launched under Spillers Homepride brand. In 1974, Homepride launched a range of pre-prepared cooking sauces.
In 1979 Spillers was acquired by Dalgety plc after a hostile take-over battle. The company's bakery business was spun off and sold to Allied Bakeries, who in the 2000s sold the flour brand to Kerry Group.
Dalgety retained the brand rights for the production of pre-prepared cooking sauces. After the brand was acquired by the Campbell Soup Company, Homepride sauces became a sponsor of the UK police procedural television series The Bill, when their slogan was "the one with the bag". In 2006 the sauce brand was acquired by Premier Foods.
Homepride uses a cartoon character named "Fred the Flour Grader" as part of its marketing. Fred was created by the Geers Gross advertising agency in 1964. Since 1965 the company has used the advertising slogan catchphrase "Because graded grains make finer flour", employing such voice-over artists as John Le Mesurier.
- Homepride - History
- Company History
- Allied Bakeries corporate site
- "Homepride Flour - About". Homepride Flour. Kerry Foods. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Homepride - History". Homepride. Premier Foods. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "UK television adverts 1955–1990£" at headington.org.uk
- "Fred about the house". YouTube.
- "Hide your wife Homeprides Fred is back in town". Little Black Book.
- "Brand Health Check: Homepride". Marketing. 22 August 2007. Retrieved 2008-07-05.