Homestead Air Reserve Base
|Homestead Air Reserve Base|
|Part of Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC)|
|Located near: Homestead, Florida, U.S.|
F-16Cs of the 482d Fighter Wing at Homestead ARB, Florida
|Controlled by||United States Air Force|
|Garrison||482d Fighter Wing|
|Elevation AMSL||7 ft / 2 m|
Homestead Air Reserve Base (IATA: HST, ICAO: KHST, FAA LID: HST) (Homestead ARB), previously known as Homestead Air Force Base (Homestead AFB) is located in Miami–Dade County, Florida to the northeast of the city of Homestead. It is home to the 482nd Fighter Wing (482 FW) of the Air Force Reserve Command's Tenth Air Force (10 AF), as well as the headquarters of Special Operations Command South.
Homestead Air Force Base was destroyed by Hurricane Andrew in 1992, and subsequently rebuilt.
It was named Homestead Army Airfield on 16 September 1942 as a base for the United States Army Air Forces during World War II, and construction began the next day. Homestead opened as an Air Transport Command (ATC) ferry airfield in November; ATC pilots were trained at the base from February 1943. The base was heavily damaged by a hurricane in September 1945, resulting in its inactivation on 14 December.
- Donald, David (2004) Century Jets: USAF Frontline Fighters of the Cold War. AIRtime ISBN 1-880588-68-4
- Martin, Patrick (1994). Tail Code: The Complete History of USAF Tactical Aircraft Tail Code Markings. Schiffer Military Aviation History. ISBN 0-88740-513-4.
- Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office 1961 (republished 1983, Office of Air Force History, ISBN 0-912799-02-1).
- Mueller, Robert (1989). Air Force Bases, Vol. I, Active Air Force Bases Within the United States of America on 17 September 1982 (PDF). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-53-6.
- Ravenstein, Charles A. Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947–1977. Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama: Office of Air Force History 1984. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.
- Rogers, Brian (2005). United States Air Force Unit Designations Since 1978. Hinkley, England: Midland Publications. ISBN 1-85780-197-0.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Homestead Joint Air Reserve Base.|
- Film Footage of Homestead AFB during the Cuban Missile Crisis
- Film Footage of JFK Visiting Homestead AFB
- Homestead Air Force Base at Strategic Air Command.com website
- Article about new Airport Authority in Miami
- This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Government document "Homestead Air Reserve Base".
- USAAS-USAAC-USAAF-USAF Aircraft Serial Numbers-1908 to present
- Joe Baugher's Encyclopedia of Military Aircraft