Homi Bhabha National Institute
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Founder||Department of Atomic Energy|
|Vice-Chancellor||P. D. Gupta|
|Dean||B. K. Dutta|
|Location||Mumbai, Maharashtra, 400094, India
The Homi Bhabha National Institute (Hindi: होमी भाभा राष्ट्रीय संस्थान, HBNI) is an Indian deemed university established by the Department of Atomic Energy, which unifies several of their constituent institutions.
Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai is one of the institutions of excellence as per section 4(b) of (Reservation in Admission) Act, 2006. And, it has been placed by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) task force in Category ‘A’.
HBNI and its Constituent Institutions (CIs) are among the very few institutions of excellence chosen by the Parliament of India to be kept out of the purview of reservations in the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Bill, 2006, which increases the reserved seats to 49.5 per cent in prestigious educational institutes like Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), Indian Institute of Science (IISc).
The Indian Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) was set up in 1954 and its mandate includes research including fundamental research in matters connected with atomic energy and the development of its uses in power generation, research, agriculture, industry and health care and advancement of higher mathematics. In pursuit of its mandate DAE has established several research and development centres, grant-in-aid institutions and has taken in its fold several existing grant-in-aid institutions. All research institutions under the umbrella of the DAE have been pursuing academic programme right from their inception. Considering continued expansion of atomic energy programme and considering the fact that the DAE institutions are engaged in human resource development programmes, the DAE Science Research Council recommended in 2003 that the DAE should establish a university level institutions. After completing all formalities, Prime minister of India, Manmohan Singh, announced the approval of the government of India for setting up of HBNI on June 4, 2005. It is named after the late Indian physicist Homi J. Bhabha. The HRD Ministry of the government of India declared Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI) a deemed to be University along with ten Constituent Institutions (CIs).
The institute was the brainchild of its first vice-chancellor, Ravi Grover.
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai.
- Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam near Chennai
- Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata
- Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata
- Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar
- Harishchandra Research Institute, Allahabad
- Tata Memorial Centre, Mumbai
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai
- Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar
- National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar
Courses at Training schools and other CIs
For developing a well trained manpower in the area of nuclear science and engineering, DAE established the "Training School" in 1997 at Trombay, Mumbai. To cater to increased demand of manpower, Training Schools were established at other places and all Training Schools offer a well designed one year intensive programme for fresh engineers and scientists. This provides the students a very sound academic base in nuclear science and technology. For historical reasons, the name "Training School" continues, though given the depth and range of courses, it functions as a gradual school.
Courses are conducted at all CIs and at BARC Training schools at:
- BARC Training School at Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai
- BARC Training School at Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam
- BARC Training School at Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT), Indore
- BARC Training School at Nuclear Fuel Complex, Hyderabad
- BARC Training School at Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research (AMD), Hyderabad
- IPR Training School at Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar
- "The Beginning". Homi Bhabha National Institute. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- "HBNI -> Council of Management". Homi Bhabha National Institute. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "Central Educational Institutions" (PDF). Ministry of Law and Justice.
- "Comparative assessment of the (Deemed to be University)" (PDF). Government of India, Ministry of Human Resource.
- "Dr Manmohan Singh announced the approval" (PDF). BARC. Retrieved 2005-06-04.
- The making of a nuclear scientist. The Hindu (2011-12-26). Retrieved on 2013-12-06.