Hominoid Personality Questionnaire
The Hominoid Personality Questionnaire (also: HPQ) is a personality rating instrument used for non-human primates. It was developed by King and Figueredo  to assess personality in non-human primate species (e.g. chimpanzees, orangutans, rhesus macaques).
The HPQ contains 54 adjectives followed by a description. Forty-one items were taken from the 75 items of Goldberg's Big Five. Examples include Dominant, Sympathetic, Helpful, Sensitive, Submissive, Dependent, Independent, Fearful, Decisive, Timid, Cautious, Intelligent, Persistent.
- King JE, Figueredo AJ. 1997. The Five-Factor Model plus Dominance in chimpanzee personality. J Res Pers 31:257–271.
- Goldberg LR. 1990. An alternative ‘‘description of personality’’: the Big-Five factor structure. J Pers Soc Psychol 59: 1216–1229.
- Dutton, D. (2008). Subjective assessment of chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) personality: reliability and stability of trait ratings. Primates; Journal of Primatology, 49(4), 253-259.
- Freeman, H., & Gosling, S. (2010). Personality in nonhuman primates: a review and evaluation of past research. American Journal of Primatology, 72(8), 653-671.
- Gosling, S. D., & John, O. P. (1999). Personality Dimensions in Nonhuman Animals: A Cross-Species Review. Current Directions In Psychological Science, 8(3), 69-75.
- King, J. E., Murray, L., & Weiss, A. D. (2011). Personality and temperament in nonhuman primates. New York : Springer, c2011.
- Santillán-Doherty, A., Muñóz-Delgado, J., Arenas, R., Márquez, A., & Cortés, J. (2006). Reliability of a method to measure novelty-seeking in nonhuman primates. American Journal of Primatology, 68(11), 1098-1113.
- Weiss, A., Inoue-Murayama, M., Hong, K., Inoue, E., Udono, T., Ochiai, T., & ... King, J. (2009). Assessing chimpanzee personality and subjective well-being in Japan. American Journal of Primatology, 71(4), 283-292.
- Weiss, A., King, J. E., & Perkins, L. (2006). Personality and subjective well-being in orangutans (Pongo pygmaeus and Pongo abelii). Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 90, 501-511.
- Weiss, A., King, J., & Hopkins, W. (2007). A cross-setting study of chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) personality structure and development: zoological parks and Yerkes National Primate Research Center. American Journal of Primatology, 69(11), 1264-1277.
|This primate-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|