Hommocks Middle School
|Hommocks Middle School|
Hommocks Middle School
|10 Hommocks Rd
Larchmont, New York, (Westchester County) 10538
|School type||Public school (government funded), Middle school|
|School district||Mamaroneck Union Free School District|
|NCES District ID||3618240|
|NCES School ID||361824001646|
|Faculty||89.55 (on an FTE basis)|
|Grades||6 to 8|
|• Grade 6||387|
|• Grade 7||347|
|• Grade 8||348|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.16|
|Communities served||Town of Mamaroneck, including its two villages|
|Feeder schools||Central School, Chatsworth Avenue School, Mamaroneck Avenue School, Murray Avenue School|
|Feeder to||Mamaroneck High School|
The Hommocks Middle School is a public middle school located in the Town of Mamaroneck, New York. It is notable as being the place where actor Matt Dillon was discovered, being cast as the character Richie in the film Over The Edge (film). When the school was first completed in 1968, it had 5 main buildings, all interconnected.
- North Wing, three stories of mostly classrooms with a Large Group Instruction (LGI) space, and open space on the top floor.
- South Wing, a virtual copy of the North House, but a different style LGI space. The Each of these houses also had offices for a House Principal and guidance counselors.
- Central Building between North and South, also known as "The Commons". Two stories with administrative offices on the first floor and school library on the second floor.
- West Wing: West of the Commons, This houses a large gym, metalworking and woodworking workshops on the first floor as well as classrooms for home economics on the second floor.
- Pool Building to the west of the Gym Wing. This indoor Olympic-size swimming pool featured a wire supported inflatable roof that could be removed in the summer. The town used this pool during non-school hours for recreation programs for its residents.
In the 1990s, the LGI spaces and the open spaces on the third floor of the North and South Houses had been converted into conventional classrooms. This allowed the school to be used for 6th grade in addition to the 7th and 8th grade original plan.
In 2003, a new East Wing with an auditorium was added. The wing contains classrooms for foreign languages, music education, and art. This $21 million addition was designed by CWS Architecture, P.C. of Brooklyn, New York 
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Mamaroneck Union Free School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved May 18, 2011.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Hommocks School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- Rosenberg, Merri (December 10, 1995). "A Rise in Students Moves Up to Middle Schools". New York Times. Retrieved January 13, 2013.
- Silberstein, Judy (October 29, 2003). "Hommocks Auditorium: A Few Weeks From Completion". Larchmont Gazette. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- "Hommocks Middle School". CWS Architecture, P.C. Retrieved 7 April 2011.