|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door sedan|
The Honda Amaze (Japanese: ホンダ・アメイズ Honda Ameizu) is a 4-door sedan produced by Honda. It is the sedan version of the Brio hatchback for the first generation model. It followed the same design and architecture with the Brio until 2018, where it goes on its own platform for the second generation model. Honda launched the Amaze in India in April 2013 and was developed at Honda R&D Asia Pacific Co., Ltd. located in Bangkok, Thailand. The Amaze is available in petrol and diesel engine.
First generation (2013–2018)
Honda Brio Amaze (pre-facelift, South Africa)
|Also called||Honda Brio Amaze|
|Body and chassis|
|Wheelbase||2,405 mm (94.7 in)|
|Length||3,990 mm (157.1 in)|
|Width||1,680 mm (66.1 in)|
|Height||1,505 mm (59.3 in)|
|Curb weight||1,060 kg (2,337 lb)|
Apart from being the company's first diesel car in India, the Amaze is slotted in the lucrative sub 4-meter entry-level sedan segment, where it competes against the Maruti Swift DZire, Tata Indigo eCS, Tata Tigor, Tata Zest, Volkswagen Ameo, Ford Figo Aspire and Hyundai Xcent. In the Philippines, the Brio Amaze also competes with the Mitsubishi Mirage G4.
Honda provides a new India-specific 1.5 L (92 cu in) diesel engine in the Amaze. This engine gets the i-DTEC moniker and it is a derivative of the new 1.6 L (98 cu in) Civic diesel engine recently launched in Europe. This India-specific derivative was developed around excise/taxation rules which offer a favorable tax regime for cars of sub 4-meter cars with engines of less than 1.5 L (92 cu in) capacity. Honda claims this all-aluminum engine is the lightest diesel engine in its class.
The first generation Amaze was updated in 2016. This updates includes a new grille, dashboard design, new taillights and the use of continuous variable transmission, replacing the 5-speed automatic one. The engine choices remained the same. Similar to the pre-2016 update models, both the engines can be had with a 5-speed manual transmission, while the CVT is offered on the petrol variant only.
The Honda Amaze was launched in India with April 2013 with four trim levels: E, EX, S and VX. In January 2014, an additional trim known as the "SX" variant was launched and positioned in between the "S" and "VX" trims. In conjunction of the first anniversary of the Honda Amaze in India, an "Anniversary Edition" was launched. The updated Amaze is offered in E, S, SX and VX trims in the Indian market. A limited edition "Privilege Edition" was launched in July 2017 and in January 2018, a special edition named the "Pride Edition" was launched.
The 2016 update was launched in Thailand in May 2016 with only the 1.2 L L12B i-VTEC I4 petrol engine paired with a CVT transmission. Four trims levels were available: S MT, S CVT, V MT and V CVT. After facelifted,only Two trim was available were V CVT and SV CVT.
In June 2013, the first generation Honda Amaze went on sale in Nepal with only a manual petrol variants being available. Three trim levels were available: E, EX and S. The 2016 updated version of the Amaze was launched in Nepal by Syakar Trading Pvt. Ltd. (STC) in June 2016 with only the 1.2 L L12B i-VTEC I4 petrol engine paired with either a 5-speed manual of CVT transmission.
In September 2014, the first generation Honda Amaze was launched in Philippines as the Brio Amaze at the 2014 Philippine International Motor Show. All Philippine-market Brio Amaze are fully imported from Thailand. The Brio Amaze is powered by a 1.3 L L13A i-VTEC I4 gasonline engine with either a 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic transmission.
Second generation (2018–present)
|Assembly||India: Greater Noida; Tapukara, Rajasthan (Honda Cars India)|
|Wheelbase||2,470 mm (97.2 in)|
|Length||3,995 mm (157.3 in)|
|Width||1,695 mm (66.7 in)|
|Height||1,498–1,501 mm (59.0–59.1 in)|
|Curb weight||905–1,039 kg (1,995–2,291 lb)|
The second generation Amaze was unveiled at the February 2018 Auto Expo in India, which Honda claims to be built on a new platform. The diesel engine is now mated to a CVT. The car has been developed at Honda R&D Asia Pacific Co. Ltd in Thailand. The second generation Amaze is offered in E, S, V and VX trims.
In July 2018, Honda Cars India Ltd. (HCIL) recalled 7,290 second generation Honda Amaze in regards to a potential issue with the electric power steering. Effected Amaze's were manufactured from 17 April to 24 May 2018.
|Petrol||1.2 L L12B i-VTEC I4||5-speed manual||90 PS (89 hp) at 6000 rpm||110 N⋅m (81 lb⋅ft) at 4800 rpm|
|Diesel||1.5 L Earth Dreams i-DTEC I4-T||5-speed manual||100 PS (99 hp) at 3600 rpm||200 N⋅m (148 lbf⋅ft) at 1750 rpm|
|CVT||80 PS (79 hp) at 3600 rpm||160 N⋅m (118 lbf⋅ft) at 1750 rpm|
The sales figures in February 2015, were released by Honda Cars India and the Amaze was the highest selling model for the Japanese firm, with 7,163 units sold.
- Tabamo, Dinzo (2014-08-14). "Meet the Honda Brio Amaze". Top Gear Philippines. Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- "Get amazed with amazing new Honda Amaze". SouLSteer.com. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- Tadeo, Patrick Everett (2013-03-29). "Do the Thais Know Something That We Don't?". Top Gear Philippines. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Honda- Amaze: Badle Apki Duniya". Archived from the original on 2013-06-21. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Honda Amazes with diesel debut". The Hindu. 2014-04-12. Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- "Honda Brio-based entry-level sedan named Amaze". Zigwheels. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- "Honda Amaze vs Maruti Dzire".
- "Hyundai Xcent vs. Honda Amaze". Top Gear India. Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- In detail: Honda Amaze’s 1.5-litre diesel engine
- Honeywell Turbocharges the Honda Amaze
- Honda Amaze owes much to Honeywell Turbo Technologies in getting the most fuel efficient car in India with 25.8 kmpl
- "Honda Amaze gets new SX variant, priced at Rs 6.22 lakh". Indian Autos blog. 2014-01-16. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- "IAB Report - Honda Amaze Anniversary Edition launched". Indian Autos blog. 2014-04-16. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- "Honda Amaze Facelift Launched in the Price Range of Rs 5.29 lakh – Rs 8.19 Lakh". Indiacarnews.com. IndiaCarNews. Retrieved 2016-08-31.
- "Honda Amaze Privilege Edition launched in India". Indian Autos blog. 2017-07-18. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- "Honda City 20th Anniversary Edition, Honda Amaze Pride Edition and Honda WR-V Edge Edition launched". Indian Autos blog. 2018-01-11. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- "Honda Amaze facelift gets all-new projector headlights for Thai market". Indian Autos blog. 2016-05-18. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- "Honda Amaze goes on sale in Nepal for INR 15.92 lakhs". Indian Autos blog. 2013-06-25. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- "2016 Honda Amaze (facelift) launched in Nepal". Indian Autos blog. 2016-06-06. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- "Philippines Live - Honda Brio, Brio Amaze launched". Indian Autos blog. 2014-09-18. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- "Second-gen Honda Amaze makes global debut at Auto Expo 2018". autocarindia.com. Retrieved 2018-02-10.
- "2018 Honda Amaze Recalled For Power Steering Inspection | CarDekho.com". CarDekho. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- "New Honda Amaze recalled for potential steering issue - Autocar India". www.autocarindia.com. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- Staff (2015-07-01). "Honda Amaze tops company's sales for February 2015". cartrade.com.
- "Thailand cars sales report 2014". HeadlightMag.com. Thailand. Retrieved 24 Oct 2018.
- "Thailand cars sales report 2015". HeadlightMag.com. Thailand. Retrieved 24 Oct 2018.
- "Thailand cars sales report 2016". HeadlightMag.com. Thailand. Retrieved 24 Oct 2018.
- "Thailand cars sales report 2017". HeadlightMag.com. Thailand. Retrieved 24 Oct 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Honda Amaze.|
- Official websites