This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Honda BR-V (DG1)|
2017 Honda BR-V 1.5 E (DG1; pre-facelift, Indonesia)
|Production||January 2016 – present|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact crossover SUV|
|Body style||5-door SUV|
|Wheelbase||2,660 mm (104.7 in)|
|Length||4,455 mm (175.4 in)|
|Width||1,735 mm (68.3 in)|
|Height||1,650 mm (65.0 in)|
|Predecessor||Honda Crossroad (indirect)|
The Honda BR-V is a compact crossover SUV which has been manufactured by Honda since 2015. The car shares its platform with the Mobilio MPV, which is based on an extended Brio and Amaze platform. The BR-V sits below the HR-V and sold in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines and Thailand.
The abbreviation BR-V stands for Bold Runabout Vehicle.
On 20 August 2015, the BR-V prototype was unveiled at the 2015 Gaikindo Indonesia International Auto Show (GIIAS). It was the third concept car that is under the development of Honda Research and Development (R&D) Asia Pacific Co. Ltd. (HRAP), Thailand as well as PT. Honda R&D Indonesia.
According to Tomoki Uchida, director of Honda Prospect Motor in Indonesia, the derivation of the BR-V will serve as an answer to rising customer demands and needs for an inexpensive SUV that rides higher, has a sleek design and is capable to load 7 passengers at one trip. As BR-V is targeted particularly for the Asian market, mass production will take place at several plants with different commencement date.
The BR-V was launched in India in an official event in Kolkata on 5 May 2016. Four trim levels were available: E, S, V and VX. All trim are available with either a petrol or diesel engine paired with a manual transmission. Only the petrol powered V trim can be had with a CVT transmission.
The Honda BR-V went on sale in Indonesia on 23 January 2016.
Honda BR-V in Indonesia is available in 3 variants:
- 1.5 S (6 Speed Manual Transmission).
- 1.5 E (6 Speed Manual & CVT Transmission).
- 1.5 Prestige (CVT Transmission).
In CVT variant VSA & HSA included.
The BR-V became Honda's second best seller in Indonesia for 2016.
The BR-V was launched in Malaysia on 5 January 2017 with a retail price of MYR 85,800 for the standard E spec model and MYR 92,800 for the V spec model. The Malaysian version comes with added NVH reduction features compared to those sold in neighboring countries. By early March 2017, bookings up to 8,500 units were received for the Honda BR-V in Malaysia, making it one of the top selling cars for Honda in Malaysia and resulting in an extended waiting time for the car. Almost 12,000 units of BR-V were sold within the first six months after launch.
The BR-V was opened for booking in Pakistan in February 2017 and officially launched on 21 April 2017. With a price of PKR 22,34,000 for the standard 1.5L M/T model and PKR 24,84,000 for the 1.5L CVT model (with extra features).
The Honda BR-V was previewed at the 2016 Philippine International Motor Show. It is available in 2 trim levels:
- 1.5 S CVT
- 1.5 V Navi CVT
The BR-V was launched into the South African market in October 2016 with manual and CVT options in several trims.
The model line-up and pricing is as follows:
- Honda BR-V 1.5 Trend Manual R238 900
- Honda BR-V 1.5 Comfort Manual R252 900
- Honda BR-V 1.5 Comfort CVT R268 300
- Honda BR-V 1.5 Elegance Manual R272 900
- Honda BR-V 1.5 Elegance CVT R288 300
The South African BR-V is available in four colours: White Orchid, Urban Titanium, Alabaster Silver and Carnelian Red. Colour options changed in September 2017 to White Orchid, Modern Steel, and Alabaster Silver.
South African models get paddle shifters on the CVT models. The line up doesn't include EBD on any models. Both daytime running lights and reverse parking sensors are absent and neither are offered as an optional factory option.
Initially previewed at the 2015 Thailand International Motor Expo, the BR-V was launched in Thailand on the 28 January 2016 with two variants available: V and SV. The V only came with two rows of seats allowing for a seating capacity of 5 while the SV variant came with three rows of seats allowing for a seating capacity of 7.
Specifications and features
The BR-V accommodates 5 and 7 passengers with 2 and 3-row seating structures respectively. It comes with standard roof rails, front projector headlights, rear LED taillights and 16-inch alloy wheels. Specific to the 3-row seating structure, it is equipped with rear air conditioner. The safety features include the ABS, EBD, dual SRS airbags, hill-start assist, and Honda's VSA. Special to the Malaysian market are LED daytime running lights.
It is available with 1.5 L L15Z1 i-VTEC four-cylinder petrol engine that produces 118 hp (88 kW) at 6,600 rpm and 107 lb⋅ft (145 N⋅m) at 4,600 rpm, and 1.5 L Earth Dreams i-DTEC straight-four turbo-diesel engine mated to a 6-speed manual transmission.
- Joseph, Noah (2015-06-30). "Honda previews new BR-V three-row crossover for Indonesia". Autoblog.com. AOL Inc. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- "Honda BR-V launched at INR 8.75 lakhs". Indian Autos blog. 2016-05-05. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "Honda BR-V launched in India with 1.5L i-DTEC diesel". Paul Tan's Automotive News. 2016-05-09. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- Maulia, Erwida (8 Feb 2017). "Honda muscles into No. 2 spot among automakers in Indonesia". Nikkei Asian Review. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "Honda Malaysia to launch six new models". The Star Online. 9 Aug 2017. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Honda BR-V launched in Pakistan, starts at PKR 2.23 million". Indian Autos blog. 2017-05-07. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "PIMS 2016: Honda Cars Philippines Previews BR-V; Deliveries Start in December (w/ Brochure)". CarGuide.ph. 2016-09-15. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "First batch of Honda BR-Vs arrive in the Philippines - Auto Industry News". AutoIndusriya.com. 2016-12-09. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "Honda BR-V goes on sale in Thailand - five- and seven-seat variants offered, starting from RM86,600". Paul Tan's Automotive News. 2016-01-29. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "Honda in Thailand Launches BR-V, the New Active Sport Crossover Vehicle".
- Team ZigWheels (2015-12-17). "Honda BR-V to be showcased at 2016 Auto Expo". Zigwheels.com. ZigWheels. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- Tan, Danny (2019-04-25). "2019 Honda BR-V facelift launched in Indonesia". Paul Tan's Automotive News. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- "Thailand cars sales report 2016". HeadlightMag.com. Thailand. Retrieved 24 Oct 2018.
- "Thailand cars sales report 2017". HeadlightMag.com. Thailand. Retrieved 24 Oct 2018.
- "Hatchback+Sedan". HeadlightMag.com. Thailand. Retrieved 2019-05-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Honda BR-V.|