Fútbol de Primera Player of the Year
The Fútbol de Primera Player of the Year, formerly known as the Honda Player of the Year, recognizes the best player on the United States Men's National Soccer Team, as chosen by the national sports media.
The award was created by Fútbol de Primera in 1991. Hugo Pérez was the first player to win this award. In order to celebrate the tenth anniversary of this award in 2000, Fútbol de Primera organized a special Honda Player of the Decade Award, which was won by Eric Wynalda. In 2009, Landon Donovan was named Player of the Decade for the 2000s.
Robert M. Garcia, Argentinian-born master jeweler from the San Francisco Bay Area, California, is the artist who created the original one-of-a-kind bronze trophy used for this award. After hand-drawing many possible male soccer players, one was chosen. Then, using a centuries-old bronze sculpture-making technique, the soccer player figure on this unique and beautiful award was created.
- "CLINT DEMPSEY NAMED FUTBOL DE PRIMERA PLAYER OF THE YEAR". US Soccer. October 4, 2006. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "Donovan named Fútbol de Primera's Player of Year". LA Galaxy. January 5, 2011. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "Dempsey wins Futbol de Primera award as U.S. Soccer player of the year". SBI Soccer. November 2, 2011. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "Dempsey Awarded US Soccer Player Of The Year For 2nd Straight Year". CBS Los Angeles. December 12, 2012. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "USMNT: Jozy Altidore awarded Futbol de Primera 2013 Player of the Year". Major League Soccer. December 3, 2013. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "Tim Howard wins Futbol de Primera Player of the Year award". Sports Illustrated. December 4, 2014. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "USA’s Bradley wins Futbol de Primera Player of the Year award". Fox Sports. December 18, 2015. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "Awards: Altidore named U.S. Player of the Year again". Soccer America. December 23, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2017.