|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Cover of the first manga volume
|Written by||Miho Obana|
|Original run||February 2004 – present|
Honey Bitter (ハニービター? Hanī Bitā) is an ongoing josei manga by Miho Obana. In honor of the twentieth anniversary of Miho Obana's debut, a crossover between Honey Bitter and Kodocha called Deep Clear was released in 2010.
Honey Bitter revolves around a girl named Shuri who was mistreated by her ex-boyfriend, Riki. She grew a hate for men in general after she had broken up with him, and wanted to start over fresh with her life. She started to work for aunt's company, using her ability to see things before they happened as a stepping stone to becoming a great detective. However, by mistake, her aunt hires her ex for the company as well, and Shuri's life takes a turn for the worse as she must put up with him now.
- Shuri Otokawa (音川 珠里? Otokawa Shuri)
- Shuri has ESP, and a tendency to act very cold towards men due to her experiences with her ex, Riki. She works at "Office S", her Aunt Saho's detective agency. In Deep Clear, she is hired by Rei to figure out why Akito had separated from Sana, which she learns is because he is afraid that she will die giving birth. She becomes friends with Sana and is at the hospital when Sana gives birth. She even convinces Akito to confront his fears by going to the hospital and see the birth go well. Sana is so thankful that she names her newborn daughter after Shuri.
- Riki Nijihara (虹原 吏己? Nijihara Riki)
- A brilliant yet almost silent detective. When he met Shuri in high school, he abused her, even raping her once and striking her repeatedly. Now that he's joined the "Office S" staff, he acts as if nothing happened between him and Shuri, and at points even seems to show romantic interests in her.
- Yohta Kubo (久保 陽太? Kubo Yohta)
- The boy Shuri met when she was in New York City at a shooting range. He rented one of Saho's apartments. When he could not pay the rent, he confronted Saho, who offered to let him pay his rent later in return for his services as a bodyguard. He has a past in kickboxing, as well as a crush the size of Texas on Shuri. Throughout the series, he makes many advances on Shuri, but stops whenever she shows any sign of discomfort.
- Saho Kohno (香野 早穂? Kōno Saho)
- Shuri's maternal aunt, the head of the "Office S" detective agency. As a former detective, she has an unusually large network of contacts, including a former prime minister of Japan.
|No.||Japan release date||Japan ISBN|
|1||June 20, 2004||ISBN 4-08-856548-7|
|2||February 20, 2005||ISBN 4-08-856592-4|
|3||October 19, 2005||ISBN 4-08-856646-7|
|4||June 15, 2007||ISBN 4-08-856753-6|
|5||February 13, 2009||ISBN 4-088-568-729|
|6||April 15, 2010||ISBN 4-088-670-523|
|7||November 15, 2011||ISBN 4-088-671-597|
Volume 6 reached the 22nd place on the weekly Oricon manga charts with 29,422 copies sold; volume 7 reached the 16th place, with 38,895 copies sold; volume 8 reached the 20th place with 40,906 copies; volume 9 reached the 43rd place and has sold 48,195 copies as of December 22, 2013; volume 10 reached the 22nd place with 36,644 copies and volume 11 reached the 36th place and has sold 47,642 copies as of May 3, 2015.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, April 12-18". Anime News Network. April 21, 2010. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, November 14-20". Anime News Network. November 23, 2011. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, April 15-21". Anime News Network. April 24, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, December 16-22". Anime News Network. December 30, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, August 11-17". Anime News Network. August 21, 2014. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, April 20-26". Anime News Network. April 30, 2015. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, April 27-May 3". Anime News Network. May 8, 2015. Retrieved October 22, 2015.