Honey Creek State Park (Iowa)
|Honey Creek State Park|
The logo of Honey Creek State Park
|Location||Appanoose County, Iowa|
|Nearest city||Moravia, Iowa|
|Area||828 acres (335 ha)|
Honey Creek State Park is located in Appanoose County, Iowa. The state park has a hunting unit, a resort, and a fish hatchery.
Native Americans of the Woodland period lived in the region that the park now occupies, leaving behind mounds that can still be found in the area. People visiting the park can learn about these early inhabitants at the Woodland Interpretive Trail.
A dam was built at the Chariton River following authorization from Congress in 1954, to resolve flooding and drought problems in the river valley. In 1969, the dam was finished by the United States Army Corps of Engineers', creating Rathbun Lake, which helps protect the land around the Chariton River.
The state park, located on a peninsula that is along part of Rathbun Lake's shore, has a width of 828 acres. A campground is within the park that has 149 camping spots with some of these spots having electricity. There are other activities which include hiking on a nature trail, snowmobiling, and boating. Waterfowl, pheasants, squirrels, and other game animals can be hunted at the Rathbun Wildlife Unit. Other places to hunt are located alongside the river in designated areas.
Honey Creek State Park Resort, located within the state park, has had financial trouble in 2012 due to not being able to pay off its debt. Governor Terry Branstad attempted to fix the financial issues by giving the state park money from the surplus of Iowa's budget. Chuck Gipp, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources director, said of the situation, "It is making money. But, it’s not making enough money to pay off the bonds and the interest." The finances were completely paid by the state's treasury.
- "Honey Creek State Park". America's State Parks. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- Charles Wolf, Robert (1991). Iowa's State Parks. Iowa State University Press. p. 64. ISBN 9780813818573.
- R. Rice, Lauren (2009). Explorer's Guide Iowa. The Countryman Press. p. 296. ISBN 9780881508338. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- Jordan, Erin (December 6, 2012). "Iowa audit: Honey Creek resort’s financial struggle continues". The Gazette. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- "Bill pays off Honey Creek Resort debt". The Daily Iowegian. July 9, 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2013.