This article is written like a personal reflection or opinion essay that states a Wikipedia editor's personal feelings about a topic. Learn how and when to remove this template message)(June 2016) (
The lead section of this article may need to be rewritten. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Honey trapping is an investigative practice that uses romantic and/or sexual relationships for an interpersonal, political or monetary purpose to the detriment of one party involved in this romantic or sexual affair. Investigators are also often employed by wives, husbands, and other partners usually when an illicit romantic affair is suspected of the "target", or subject of the investigation.
Occasionally, the term may be used for the practice of creating an affair for the purpose of taking incriminating photos for use in blackmail. A honey trap is used primarily to collect evidence on the subject of the honey trap.
Each assignment varies depending on what the agent and client decided on during their prior consultant. A common assignment consists of the agent initiating contact with the subject through face-to-face interaction. The agent will attempt to take the communication further into other outlets including: e-mail, text messaging, phone calls, etc. The step after this can be considered the most crucial moment of the assignment. Whether or not the subject agrees to further communication will determine whether the assignment will go deeper or come to an end. The agent will propose a second meeting to the subject. Hotels are often used as a meeting place, not for sexual intercourse, but to determine whether the subject intends for the relationship to escalate. Once the investigation comes to an end, the agent will turn over any record of communication they had with the subject. Other documents that are recorded include: photographs, videos, venue appointments, etc.
In 2009 the British MI5 distributed a 14-page document to hundreds of British banks, businesses, and financial institutions, titled "The Threat from Chinese Espionage". It described a wide-ranging Chinese effort to blackmail Western business people over sexual relationships. The document explicitly warns that Chinese intelligence services are trying to cultivate "long-term relationships" and have been known to "exploit vulnerabilities such as sexual relationships … to pressurise individuals to co-operate with them."
- Honeypots in espionage fiction
- Operation Midnight Climax - Covert CIA program to investigate the use of LSD on San Francisco men in fake brothels. Brothels were used because men would be less likely to report drugging in brothels to police.
- Salon Kitty - a Berlin brothel used by the SS for espionage during World War II.
- Kelland, Kate. "Private Eye Defends Integrity of "Honey Trapping"" Reuters 13 Feb. 2008. 18 Feb. 2008 <https://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSL132980220080213?sp=true>.
- Phillip Knightley, The History of the Honey Trap. Five lessons for would-be James Bonds and Bond girls -- and the men and women who would resist them, Foreign Policy, (March 12, 2010).