Hong Kong Arts Development Council
The ADC was created in 1995, under the Hong Kong Arts Development Council Ordinance, Chapter 472, replacing the former Council of Performing Arts. It advises the government on cultural policy for Hong Kong and allocates grants, undertakes advocacy, promotion and development, and plans programmes, in support of the arts.
Governance and administration
The administration of the ADC is overseen by its (up to) 27 members, who are appointed by the Chief Executive of Hong Kong. Of these, 10 are elected by various arts organisations (or groups of organisations), each representing an art form or aspect of art. The Council includes six standing committees: the Arts Promotion Committee, Arts Support Committee, Management Committee, Audit Committee, Review Committee and Strategy Committee, as well as a group for each of the 10 'art-forms'.
Council members are appointed for three-year terms. Members appointed from 1 January 2011 are:
- Mr Wong Ying-wai, Wilfred (Chairman)
- Ms Yan Hau-yee, Lina (Vice-chairman)
- Mr Au Weng-hei, William
- Ms Choi Tsz-kwan
- Mr Chung Shu-kun, Christopher
- Mr James Mathew Fong
- Mr Hung Keung
- Mr Ko Tin-lung
- Mr Lee Kam-yin
- Professor Man Kit-wah, Eva
- Mr Ng Kang-fai
- Mr Johnnie To Kei-fung
- Dr Cheng Kam-chung
- Mr Choi Yick-wai
- Ms Barbara Fei
- Mr Ho Ho-chuen
- Mr Leon Ko Sai-tseung
- Mr Perry Lam
- Mr Lo Yeung-kit, Alan
- Ms Mok Fung-yee, Emily
- Ms Ng Mien-hua, Nikki
- Mr Yuen Siu-fai
- Secretary for Home Affairs or his representative
- Director of Leisure and Cultural Services or her representative
- Permanent Secretary for Education or her representative
In late 2012, the Council began a review and consultation of the process for election of its 10 'art-form' members, after criticism that the narrow base, which excluded both individual and commercial arts practitioners, was unrepresentative. As a result the voter base for elections in late 2013 was expanded to 730 arts organisations and 1,492 individual arts workers.
|Dr Patrick Ho Chi-ping,||1999-2001|
|Dr Patrick Ho Chi-ping||2002-2005||[2nd term] ophthamologist and previous member of the Hong Kong Philharmonic Society committee|
|unknown||2005-2007||Appointment of chairman was delayed from usual 1 Jan |
|Ma Fung-kwok||2008-2010||He was later elected to the Sports, Performing Arts, Culture and Publication functional constituency seat in the Legislative Council 2012 election.|
|Mr Wong Ying-wai, Wilfred||1 Jan 2011–present|
The Council receives annual funding of HK$87 million from the Home Affairs Bureau.
In the year ended 31 March 2012, the ADC provided funding for the arts viz: HK$4.8 million of one-year grants, HK$20.4 million of two-year grants, HK$8.4 million of (two-year) multi-project grants, and HK$14.3 million of (one-year) project grants.
In 2013, the ADC awarded its first Critic's Prize but was promptly embroiled in controversy when the winner of the HK$50,000 award was found to have connections with at least two of the six judges. The issue led to expanded criticism of the award, such as for its exclusion of English-language entries.
Day-to-day administration is led by a Chief Executive (formerly 'Secretary General'), appointed by the Council.
|Mr Tseng Sun-man||Secretary General||1997 to 2001|||
|Mr Albert Lam Chi-chiu, OBE, JP||Chief Executive||May 2001 - ?2004|||
|Mr Jonathan Yu||Chief Executive||April 2005 - 2007||(previously more than two decades with the KCRC)|
|Mr Louis Yu||Chief Executive||May 2007 - Oct 2011|||
|Mr Chow Yung-ping||Chief Executive||Oct 2010–present|
The ADC produces a regular newsletter of arts news, called ArtNews, every 3–4 months.
- ADC - About Us
- Council Structure and Members, HKADC website
- Arts Development Council election system under review, SCMP, Vivienne Chow, 17 Nov 2012
- Second phase of 2013 Hong Kong Arts Development Council Nomination Exercise begins, info.gov press release, 13 June 2013
- New team of Principal Officials appointed, HK Government press release, 24 June 2002
- HKADC announces new council members, IFACCA/Artshub, 20 February 2002
- Chief Executive's slow reaction & HKADC's vacuum (ref HKEJ, 4 Jan 2005, p32)
- Chow, Vivienne (2 October 2012). "Artist Chow Chun-fai says Hong Kong's Arts Development Council has lost credibility". South China Morning Post (Hong Kong). Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- HKADC – Call for Application
- HKADC Annual Report 2011-12
- Yuen, Terence, "A Decade's Long March: Reform of the Institutional Framework on Culture and the Arts." In A Decade of Arts Development in Hong Kong, 7-25. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Arts Development Council, 2005.
- Arts prize winner works with judge, SCMP, Emily Tsang, 28 February 2013
- A war of words fuelled by critics, critiques, SCMP, 4 March 2013
- Author bio: Tseng Sun-man, in The Long March for an appropriate cultural infrastructure for Hong Kong
- HKADC Appoints New Chief Executive, HKADC press release, 28 * Apr 2001
- Albert Lam & Son, lookcare.com
- Hong Kong Ideas Centre, bio: Mr. Jonathan YU
- Asia Cultural Cooperation forum: bio of Mr Louis YU
- ArtNews, HKADC website