Hong Kong at the Olympics
|Hong Kong at the|
|NOC||Sports Federation and Olympic Committee of Hong Kong, China|
Hong Kong first competed at the Olympic Games in 1952, then as a British colony. Hong Kong has participated at every Summer Olympic Games (14 summer, 4 winter) since then except for the boycotted 1980 Games, and has also participated in the Winter Olympic Games since 2002.
The National Olympic Committee (NOC) for Hong Kong was founded in 1950 as the Amateur Sports Federation and Olympic Committee of Hong Kong, and is now known as the Sports Federation and Olympic Committee of Hong Kong, China. It was recognised by the IOC in 1951, and subsequently, Hong Kong was represented separately from Great Britain (for any gold medal ceremony, the colonial flag of Hong Kong was raised and the British national anthem was played) at all future Olympic Games.
After the sovereignty of Hong Kong was transferred to the People's Republic of China in 1997, the NOC for the special administrative region has been designated Hong Kong, China. Hong Kong is represented separately at the Olympics by its own choice (for any gold medal ceremony the Hong Kong SAR flag is raised and the PRC national anthem is played). As permitted under its constitution as agreed upon handover from the United Kingdom (specifically, Article 151, Chapter 7 of The Basic Law), it "may, on its own, ... maintain and develop relations and conclude and implement agreements with foreign states and regions and relevant international organizations in the appropriate fields, including the economic, trade, financial and monetary, shipping, communications, tourism, cultural and sports fields."
Hong Kong won its first medal in 1996, which was also its first gold medal. Since then, athletes from Hong Kong have won a total of 2 more medals.
Medals by Summer Games
Medals by Winter Games
Medals by sport
|Totals (3 sports)||1||1||1||3|
List of medalists
|Gold||Lee Lai Shan||1996 Atlanta||Sailing||Women's sailboard (Mistral)|
|Silver||Ko Lai Chak
|2004 Athens||Table tennis||Men's doubles|
|Bronze||Lee Wai Sze||2012 London||Cycling||Women's Keirin|
- List of flag bearers for Hong Kong at the Olympics
- Category:Olympic competitors for Hong Kong
- Hong Kong at the Paralympics
- Hong Kong at the Commonwealth Games
- Tropical nations at the Winter Olympics
- "Hong Kong". International Olympic Committee.
- "Results and Medalists — Hong Kong". Olympic.org. International Olympic Committee.
- "Olympic Medal Winners". International Olympic Committee.
- "Hong Kong". Sports-Reference.com. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03.
- (ed.) Monique Berlioux (February 1977). "Hong Kong and Olympism" (PDF). Olympic Review. Lausanne: International Olympic Committee (112): 104–109. Retrieved 2007-07-29.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)