|Born||13 March 1966|
Gumi, North Gyeongsang, South Korea
|Known for||mountaineer, adventurer, explorer|
Hong, Sung Taek (Hangul: 홍성택; Hanja: 洪成澤; born 13 March 1966) is a mountaineer, adventurer, explorer and author from South Korea. He is currently a National Geographic Explorers supported by a National Geographic explorers program and a principal of KSAF Mountaineers Academy. He is renowned for reaching all the Three Poles and crossing the Bering Strait and Greenland for the first time. He summited Everest in 1995, skied to the South Pole in 1994 and walked to the North Pole in 2005. He also crossed Bering Strait by foot in 2012 (official) and crossed Greenland by dog sledding in 2011. He was thus the first in the world to reach all the five poles (Everest, North and South Poles, Bering Straits, Greenland).
|2015||attempt, Lhotse, south face (8516 m)|
|2014||attempt, Lhotse, south face (8516 m)|
|2013||attempt, Lhotse (8516 m)|
|2012||crossing, Bering Strait (by foot) (February 23 ~ 29, 2012)|
|2011||crossing, Greenland (2500 km) (May ~ July 19, 2011)|
|2008||attempt, Mount Everest SW (8848 m)|
|2007||attempt, Lhotse, south face (8516 m) Lhotse Shar(8382 m)|
|2005||arrived, North Pole (N90) (by foot) (April 30, 2005)|
|2002||attempt, Pumori, east face (7117 m)|
|1999||attempt, Lhotse, south face (8516 m)|
|1998||summit, Thapa peak (6012 m) (April 18, 1998)|
|1996||attempt, Dhaulagiri (8167 m) Annapurna (8091 m)|
|1995||summit, Everest (8848 m) (October 14, 1995)|
|1995||summit, Shishapangma (8046 m) (August, 1995)|
|1994||arrived, South Pole (S90) (by ski and walk) (January 1, 1994)|
|1994||attempt, Pumori, NE (7117 m)|
|1993||attempt, Everest (8848 m)|
|1992||summit, Khan Tengri (7010 m) (August 5, 1992)|
An essay book telling about the experiences in SP, NP, Everest, Bering and Greenland
- Hong, Sung Taek (2001). The Effects of Himalayan Altitude Experiences on Body Composition. Seoul,Korea: Korea University.
A master´s thesis, Korea University, 2001
- "홍성택 - Daum 백과사전". Daum.net. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Everest K2 News ExplorersWeb - 2014 Best of ExplorersWeb Interview Special: Koreans on Lhotse South Wall". Explorersweb.com. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- Oh, Kyu-wook (2012-03-01). "Korean team crosses Bering Strait". Koreaherald.com. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "AdventureStats by Explorersweb". Adventurestats.com. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- Manish Maharjan. "South Korea". Everestsummiteersassociation.org. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Unsupported South Pole Expeditions". Adventurestats.com. Retrieved 2015-07-27.