Honky Tonk Time Machine
|Honky Tonk Time Machine|
|Studio album by|
|Released||March 29, 2019|
|Producer||Chuck Ainlay, George Strait|
|George Strait chronology|
|Singles from Honky Tonk Time Machine|
Honky Tonk Time Machine is the thirtieth studio album by American country music artist George Strait. It was released on March 29, 2019, via MCA Nashville. The album's first single, "Every Little Honky Tonk Bar", was released to radio on February 11, 2019.
The album's lead single, "Every Little Honky Tonk Bar", was issued on February 11, 2019. Prior to this, he had released another song, "Código", as a preview. As with his last album Cold Beer Conversation, Honky Tonk Time Machine was co-produced by Chuck Ainlay. The album includes a cover of Johnny Paycheck's "Old Violin". Strait co-wrote most of the songs on the album with his son Bubba Strait and Dean Dillon, who has written many of Strait's singles.
The album was met with largely positive reviews. Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic rated the album 3.5 out of 5 stars, stating that "Strait sings with humor, tenderness, and ease, qualities that lend the deliberately nostalgic Honky Tonk Time Machine grace, resonance, and depth. Perhaps this isn't a new trick for Strait, but it's one to be cherished nonetheless." Rating it 3 out of 5, Will Hermes of Rolling Stone thought that the strongest songs were " top-shelf boilerplate honky-tonkin'", highlighting the "Old Violin" cover and Willie Nelson duet along with the title track. Mikael Wood of the Los Angeles Times found the album consistent with many of Strait's others, also stating that "as eager as Strait seems to reclaim his commercial clout, the album doesn’t downplay his perspective as an aging grandfather at a moment when country music is dominated by youngsters." His review also noted the "darker themes" of the "Old Violin" cover and "The Weight of the Badge". Kelly Dearmore of Sounds Like Nashville wrote that "Although there’s a range of slow, medium and quick tempo tunes here, the album excels when it’s either twisting and twirling in full-speed, or gently waltzing in a far lower gear." The review praised the lyrics of "Every Little Honky Tonk Bar" and "The Weight of the Badge", along with the performances on "Sing One with Willie", but criticized the lyrics of "Código" and "Blue Water". A reivew from Country Standard Time was also positive, with Jeffrey B. Remz stating that "The 13 songs are uniformly strong from start to finish."
|1.||"Every Little Honky Tonk Bar"||George Strait, Bubba Strait, Dean Dillon||3:14|
|2.||"Two More Wishes"||Jim Lauderdale, Odie Blackmon||2:59|
|3.||"Some Nights"||B. Strait, Brice Long, Phillip White||3:22|
|4.||"God and Country Music" (featuring Harvey Strait)||Luke Laird, Barry Dean, Lori McKenna||4:04|
|5.||"Blue Water"||G. Strait, B. Strait, Dillon||3:41|
|6.||"Sometimes Love"||G. Strait, B. Strait, Dillon||3:54|
|7.||"Código"||G. Strait, B. Strait, Dillon||3:13|
|8.||"Old Violin"||Johnny Paycheck||3:57|
|9.||"Take Me Away"||G. Strait, B. Strait, Dillon||2:57|
|10.||"The Weight of the Badge"||G. Strait, B. Strait, Dillon||3:46|
|11.||"Honky Tonk Time Machine"||B. Strait, Long, Bart Butler||2:44|
|12.||"What Goes Up"||G. Strait, B. Strait, Jeff Hyde||3:57|
|13.||"Sing One with Willie" (featuring Willie Nelson)||G. Strait, B. Strait, Willie Nelson, Buddy Cannon||4:21|
Adapted from liner notes.
- J. T. Corenflos – electric guitar
- Eric Darken – percussion
- Stuart Duncan – fiddle, mandolin
- Paul Franklin – steel guitar
- Wes Hightower – background vocals
- Brent Mason – electric guitar, classical guitar
- Mac McAnally – acoustic guitar, classical guitar
- Greg Morrow – drums, percussion
- Willie Nelson - duet vocals on "Sing One with Willie"
- Mike Rojas – piano, organ, synthesizer, accordion
- Marty Slayton – background vocals
- George Strait - lead vocals
- Harvey Strait - duet vocals on "God and Country Music"
- Ilya Toshinsky – acoustic guitar
- Glenn Worf – bass guitar
- Chuck Ainlay – producer, recording, mixing
- Kevin Boettger – recording assistant on "Sometimes Love"
- Buddy Cannon and Steve Chadie – recording (Willie Nelson's vocals on "Sing One with Willie")
- Spencer Clarke – overdubs, mixing assistant
- Jon Harter – overdubs
- Charlie Kramsky – recording assistant (Willie Nelson's vocals on "Sing One with Willie")
- Bob Ludwig – mastering
- Brandon Schexnayder – recording assistant
- George Strait – producer
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||80|
|Canadian Albums (Billboard)||93|
|US Billboard 200||4|
|US Top Country Albums (Billboard)||1|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions|
|US Country||US Country Airplay|
|2019||"Every Little Honky Tonk Bar"||25||20|
- "Everything We Know About George Strait's New Album, 'Honky Tonk Time Machine'". The Boot. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Mikael Wood (March 28, 2019). "Review: Does George Strait require a 'Honky Tonk Time Machine'?". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 31, 2019.
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine. "Honky Tonk Time Machine". Allmusic. Retrieved March 31, 2019.
- Will Hermes (March 27, 2019). "Review: George Strait's Old-School Country Flashback 'Honky Tonk Time Machine'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved March 31, 2019.
- Kelly Dearmore (March 27, 2019). "Album review: George Strait's 'Honky Tonk Time Machine'". Sounds Like Nashville. Retrieved March 31, 2019.
- "Honky Tonk Time Machine". Country Standard Time. Retrieved March 31, 2019.
- Caulfield, Keith (April 7, 2019). "Billie Eilish's 'When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?' Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Chart". Billboard. Retrieved April 8, 2019.
- Honky Tonk Time Machine (CD booklet). George Strait. MCA Nashville. 2019. B0029954-02.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "ARIA Chart Watch #519". auspOp. April 6, 2019. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- "George Strait Chart History (Canadian Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved April 9, 2019.
- "George Strait Chart History (Top Country Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved April 9, 2019.