Honorary Canadian citizenship
|This article is part of a series|
|Canadian nationality law|
|Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada|
|Demographics of Canada|
Honorary Canadian citizenship (French: Citoyenneté canadienne honoraire) is an honour bestowed on foreigners of exceptional merit by Canada. The honour is granted by the Parliament of Canada, with precedent requiring both the House of Commons and the Senate pass a motion approving the grant.
It is an entirely symbolic honour; the recipient of honorary Canadian citizenship does not take the Oath of Citizenship and thus does not receive any rights, privileges, or duties typically held by a Canadian citizen.
Recipients of honorary Canadian citizenship
|Swedish diplomat and humanitarian.|
|2||Nelson Mandela||2001||Anti-apartheid activist, former President of South Africa, and recipient of the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize.|
|3||Tenzin Gyatso||2006||The 14th Dalai Lama and recipient of the 1989 Nobel Peace Prize.|
|4||Aung San Suu Kyi||2007||Burmese opposition leader and recipient of the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize. In response to UN allegations of "ethnic cleansing" against the Rohingya, an ethno-religious minority group in Burma, there have been calls to revoke Suu Kyi of her honorary citizenship.|
|5||Karim Aga Khan IV||2010||49th Imam of the Shia Ismaili Muslims.|
|6||Malala Yousafzai||Awarded in 2014, received in 2017||Pakistani women's rights and education activist, and recipient of the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize.|
- "Canadian Immigration and Citizenship Indexing Terms - H". Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Archived from the original on February 7, 2012.
- Levitz, Stephanie (October 22, 2014). "Five things to know about honorary Canadian citizenship". Global News. The Canadian Press. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- Government of Canada Honours Canadian Honorary Citizen Raoul Wallenberg, Department of Canadian Heritage News Release, January 16, 2003
- "NELSON MANDELA". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). House of Commons. 2001-06-12.
- "Dalai Lama". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). House of Commons. 2006-06-22.
- "Aung San Suu Kyi". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). House of Commons. 2007-10-17.
- Safi, Michael (September 11, 2017). "Myanmar treatment of Rohingya looks like 'textbook ethnic cleansing', says UN". The Guardian.
- Tang, Justin (September 17, 2017). "Protesters call for Canada to revoke Aung San Suu Kyi's honorary citizenship". The Globe and Mail.
- Abedi, Maham (October 17, 2017). "43,000 sign petition demanding Canada revoke Myanmar leader's honorary citizenship". Global News.
- "Hon. Jay Hill (Leader of the Government in the House of Commons, CPC):". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). House of Commons. 2009-06-19.
- "Mawlana Hazar Imam is made an honorary citizen of Canada". TheIsmaili.org. 22 June 2009. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- "Senate of Canada - Debates". Senate of Canada. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- CAMPION-SMITH, BRUCE; BOUTILIER, ALEX (April 12, 2017). "Malala Yousafzai has become an honorary Canadian citizen | Toronto Star". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- "Malala Yousafzai to get honorary Canadian citizenship". CBC. October 15, 2013. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
|This Canada-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|