Honorary Canadian citizenship
Honorary Canadian citizenship (French: citoyenneté canadienne honoraire) is an honour bestowed on foreigners of exceptional merit following a joint resolution by both Houses of the Parliament of Canada.
Recipients of honorary Canadian citizenship
- Honorary Canadian citizenship revoked by Parliamentary vote
|Sweden||Diplomat and humanitarian.|
|2||Nelson Mandela||2001||South Africa||Anti-apartheid activist, former President of South Africa, and recipient of the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize.|
|3||Tenzin Gyatso||2006|| India
(born in Tibet)
|The 14th Dalai Lama and recipient of the 1989 Nobel Peace Prize.|
|4||Aung San Suu Kyi||2007||Myanmar||Opposition leader and recipient of the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize. Revoked by parliamentary vote in 2018.|
|5||Karim Aga Khan IV||2010||United Kingdom||49th Imam of the Shia Ismaili Muslims.|
|6||Malala Yousafzai||2014[a]||Pakistan||Women's rights and education activist, and recipient of the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize.|
Canadian civil society groups and other protestors called for the revocation Aung San Suu Kyi's honorary citizenship in response to UN allegations that the 2017 persecution by the Burmese military against the Rohingya, an ethno-religious minority group in Burma, was a form of ethnic cleansing. This included an online Change.org petition addressed to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the House of Commons of Canada. The House of Commons voted unanimously on September 27, 2018 to revoke her honorary citizenship. The Senate of Canada approved a motion to the same effect unanimously on October 2, 2018. With revocation motions passed by both houses, the Government of Canada stated that it recognized Parliament's decision to revoke the honour.
- Received award in 2017
- Levitz, Stephanie (October 22, 2014). "Five things to know about honorary Canadian citizenship". Global News. The Canadian Press. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- Government of Canada Honours Canadian Honorary Citizen Raoul Wallenberg, Department of Canadian Heritage News Release, January 16, 2003
- "NELSON MANDELA". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). House of Commons. 2001-06-12.
- "Dalai Lama". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). House of Commons. 2006-06-22.
- "Aung San Suu Kyi". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). House of Commons. 2007-10-17.
- "Hon. Jay Hill (Leader of the Government in the House of Commons, CPC):". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). House of Commons. 2009-06-19.
- "Mawlana Hazar Imam is made an honorary citizen of Canada". TheIsmaili.org. 22 June 2009. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- "Senate of Canada - Debates". Senate of Canada. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- CAMPION-SMITH, BRUCE; BOUTILIER, ALEX (April 12, 2017). "Malala Yousafzai has become an honorary Canadian citizen | Toronto Star". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- "Malala Yousafzai to get honorary Canadian citizenship". CBC. October 15, 2013. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- Safi, Michael (September 11, 2017). "Myanmar treatment of Rohingya looks like 'textbook ethnic cleansing', says UN". The Guardian.
- Tang, Justin (September 17, 2017). "Protesters call for Canada to revoke Aung San Suu Kyi's honorary citizenship". The Globe and Mail.
- Abedi, Maham (October 17, 2017). "43,000 sign petition demanding Canada revoke Myanmar leader's honorary citizenship". Global News.
- Aiello, Rachel (September 27, 2018). "MPs vote to revoke Aung San Suu Kyi's honorary Canadian citizenship". CTV News. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- Curry, Bill (October 2, 2018). "Senate votes unanimously to strip Aung San Suu Kyi's honorary Canadian citizenship". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
|This Canada-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|