|Airport type||General aviation|
|Owner||Masterton District Council|
|Operator||Masterton District Council|
|Serves||Masterton, Carterton, Martinborough|
|Location||Masterton, New Zealand|
|Elevation AMSL||111 m / 364 ft|
Hood Aerodrome (IATA: MRO, ICAO: NZMS) is an aerodrome, located in Masterton, New Zealand, it is located 1 NM South West of the town centre in the suburb of Solway. The aerodrome was named after George Hood, a pioneer Masterton aviator who died trying to make the first Trans-Tasman crossing in 1928. The aerodrome is used extensively for general aviation flights, and has also been used for commercial flights, Air New Zealand stopped serving the airport from 5 February 2014. Two new airlines have looked at re-instating a service to Auckland using larger aircraft but the runway will need to be lengthened to 1400m and widened to 30m first before it can start.
Historically, Hood Aerodrome has been served by South Pacific Airlines of New Zealand in 1962–1966 and two locally based carriers, Wairarapa Airlines which linked Masterton with Auckland, Hamilton, Rotorua, Nelson and Christchurch from August 1981 to January 1997. Then a new airline Air Wairarapa briefly flew to Auckland via Paraparumu in 2002. Between February 2009 and February 2014, Eagle Airways, a subsidiary of Air New Zealand Link flew to Auckland from Masterton. The flights were operated by 19-seat Beechcraft 1900D aircraft. In September 2013, Air New Zealand announced the airline would withdraw all services to Masterton from 5 February 2014, due to a lack of demand.
The aerodrome is the home of New Zealand's 'Sports and Vintage Aviation Society', which has had a hangar on site since 1978. The Society is also developing the 'George Hood Museum of Aviation' on site, and since 1999 has held a biennial airshow, "Wings over Wairarapa", to support the venture. The museum building was dedicated at the 2003 show.
- Bowling, Kerri (16 August 2003). "Aviator’s family plot restored". Wairarapa Times-Age. Archived from the original on 2009-04-17. Retrieved 2009-04-17.
- Walt Dickson (2013-10-30). "Masterton Runway Extension Needed". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Airline has no illusions - Wairarapa Times-Age
- "Air NZ pulling out of Wairarapa". Wairarapa Times Age. 2013-09-04. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hood Aerodrome.|
- Airport information for NZMS at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Hood Aerodrome website
- NZ Sport and Vintage Aviation Society website
- Wairarapa and Ruahine Aero Club
- Hood Aerodrome and early flying in the Wairarapa
- Masterton motorplex drag racing site