Hooghly Mohsin College
Hooghly Mohsin College began on 1 August 1836. Muhammad Mohsin used his wealth for charitable purposes, including this college. Initially it was named the New Hooghly College. On its 100th anniversary it became Hooghly Mohsin College. It became affiliated to University of Calcutta since the latter’s initiation in 1857. After the establishment of the University of Burdwan in 1960, the college became its constituent college.
Humanities and Commerce
- Sanskrit (language)
- Hindi (language)
- Economics (B.A. and B.Sc.)
Undergraduate and post-graduate departments
- English (language)
- Urdu (language)
- Political Science
- Physical Education (will be started shortly)
- Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, the composer of “Vande Mataram” and an eminent Bengali writer was a student of this institution.
- Rai Bahadur Sarada Prasanna Das I.E.S, eminent Professor of Mathematics, was the principal in the earlier 19th century in this college.
Other eminent students who authored Bengali literary works include
Several students and teachers associated with this College, dedicated their lives to the cause of Indian Freedom Movement.Some of them being-
- *Mrityunjay Sil was the topper of Hooghly Mohsin College consecutively for four years. No one has ever come close to this feat. His average over four years was close to 99.78%. In his time one could barely cross 80%, but he set a new benchmark. After graduation he received several telegrams from top universities of New York, London, Paris, San Francisco, etc. He chose to study in Calcutta University as he was homesick and wished to serve the nation. He was a freedom fighter and became a famous theatre personality. He further became principal of Burdwan Raj College.
- Biplabacharya Jyotish Chandra Ghosh
- Muzaffar Ahmed[disambiguation needed]
- Kanailal Dutta
- Pramathanath Mitra
- Brahmabandhav Upadhyay
- Debendranath Mondal
- Bhupati Mujumder
- Charu Chandra Roy
Other notable alumni
- Syed Amir Ali, a versatile genius, the Indian Muslim judge and jurist, wise leader, writer and historian
- Famous scientists such as Dr. Upendranath Brahmachari, Sahairam Basu and J.N.Bhar significantly contributed to science and medicine in the global perspective.
- Noted singers of India like Shyamal Mitra and Satinath Mukhopadhyay who have made a mark in the cultural world were students of this college.
- Moid Rasheedi, Poet, critic, assistant professor in Aligarh Muslim University, writing in Urdu, awarded by Sahitya Akademi Yuva Puruskar in 2013 by Sahitya Akademi,New Delhi
Since its historic inception as the first seat of English education in India in 1836 to date this college has been nurturing talents who have done our country proud.
Hooghly Mohsin has been recognized by the University Grants Commission as a "College with Potential for Excellence." The Department of Biotechnology, government of India, has recognized it as a "STAR COLLEGE." The Department of Science & Technology, government of India, has selected this college under "Fund for Improvement of Science & Technology Infrastructure" (DST-FIST) scheme.
- http://hooghlymohsincollege.org/ With reference to the person himself.
- "Institutions Accredited / Re-accredited by NAAC with validity" (PDF). National Assessment and Accreditation Council. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- [dead link] Colleges in West Bengal, University Grants Commission