|Developer(s)||Hookt Inc. (owned by airG Inc.)|
|Type||Instant messaging Social Networking|
|Headquarters||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
Hookt is a proprietary, cross-platform instant messaging and social networking service for smartphones and select feature phones that use the internet for communication. In addition to text messaging, users can build a closed and private social network to share images, messages, video, and audio media messages as well as their location using integrated mapping features.
The company which owns Hookt initially used the brand to promote a 'private label mobile community' which was a social chat community on WAP, SMS, and J2ME enabled handsets. The service was initially launched as a co-branded service in the United States with the Boost Mobile network.
Initial product features included: Group chat (enabling the creation of group conversations with up to 10 people). Stickers (sending proprietary images and stickers as part of the conversation window). PC messaging (multi-device broadcasting for example from BlackBerry PlayBook to iPhone). Read indicators (providing visual delivery receipt). Photo & video sharing (Allowing the upload of photos and videos from a mobile device). Push Notifications (across Nokia, BlackBerry, Android, and iOS). Inbox integration (allowing devices to see the messages in the native inbox) & BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) integration.
As of Dec 2013, Hookt had a footprint of over 20 million consumers globally, at times reaching the top 5 downloaded app in countries such as Germany, Austria, Turkey, Pakistan, Nigeria, Mexico, Korea, Canada, and United States,
- Comparison of instant messaging clients
- Viber (competitor)
- Skype (competitor)
- Telegram (competitor)
- Whatsapp (competitor)
- Daniel Bader (April 16, 2012). "Hooked on Hookt the IM for any Screen". Mobile Syrup.
- Bla1ze (April 10, 2012). "Hookt Messenger - Better than BlackBerry Messenger?". Crack Berry.
- Allison Webb (August 9, 2005). "Boost Mobile and AirG Launch Boost HOOKT Mobile Community; Boost Customers Can Now Hook Into World's Largest Private-Label Mobile Community". Business Wire.
- Gary (April 11, 2012). "BlackBerry BBM vs Hookt Messenger the debate". PhonesReview.co.uk.
- kostenlos (November 11, 2011). "Messenger Hookt im Test". Mac Berry Germany.
- TeamGerman (October 23, 2013). "Messenger Hookt im Test". SMS Alternative.
- Sosyal Medya (November 30, 2012). "Haftanın mobil uygulaması: Hookt Messenger". Sosyal Medya Port. Archived from the original on October 29, 2014.
- Muhammad Jordan (May 16, 2012). "Hookt Messenger App for BlackBerry". Black.PK. Archived from the original on October 29, 2014.
- BB Equipo (May 17, 2012). "Hookt Messenger". Applicaciones Para Blackberry.