|Member of the Michigan Senate
from the 6th district
8th District (2011-2014)
January 1, 2011
|Preceded by||Ray Basham|
|Member of the Michigan House of Representatives
from the 22nd district
January 1, 2003 – December 31, 2008
|Preceded by||Ray Basham|
|Succeeded by||Douglas A. Geiss|
December 8, 1974 |
Incheon, South Korea
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
Hoon-Yung Hopgood (born December 8, 1974) is a member of the Michigan State Senate. He is a Democrat and a former member of the Michigan State House of Representatives. He represents roughly half of the cities which make up the Downriver area of Metro Detroit, as well as other cities in Wayne County. He is the first Korean American to hold state office in Michigan.
Hopgood was born in Incheon, South Korea, in 1974, and was adopted in 1976 by Diane Hopgood, former principal at Johnson Elementary in Taylor, Michigan, and the late Rollie Hopgood, who was president of the Michigan Federation of Teachers and School Related Personnel. He received his bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan in 1996. In 2002 he became an aide to former State Representative Ray Basham.
Hopgood was elected to the Michigan House of Representatives in 2002, representing the 22nd District, which includes the cities of Romulus, Michigan and Taylor. He has become a leader on educational issues in the state. He was a member of the Children's Caucus, a board member of the Michigan Youth in Government, and a member of the House Democratic Task Force on Early Education and Care. He is on the Steering Committee for the Michigan Coalition on Civic Education, and was part of the Michigan delegation to the Congressional Conference on Civic Education in Washington, D.C.
In his final term, Hopgood served on six committees in the House of Representatives: Transportation - Chair, Education, Subcommittee on High School Graduation - Chair, Energy and Technology, Labor, and Senior Health and Retirement.
After serving three terms in the House of Representatives, Hopgood was term limited and was ineligible to serve again.
In 2010 Hopgood was elected to the Michigan Senate, where he is currently serving his second and final term. He serves on the Senate Education Committee, Energy and Technology Committee, and Appropriations Committee. He resides in Taylor.
|Democratic||Hoon-Yung Hopgood (Incumbent)||19,260||73.9||+51.4|
|Democratic||Hoon-Yung Hopgood (Incumbent)||24,375||69.5||+44.3|
- "Michigan Senate Democratic Caucus - Michigan Senate Democrats".
- List of Michigan Senate Standing Committees
- "2010 Official Michigan General Election Results - 8th District State Senator 4 Year Term (1) Position Files In Wayne County". Archived from the original on 2012-01-03.
- "2006 Official Michigan General Election Results - 22nd District State Representative 2 Year Term (1) Position Files In Wayne County". Archived from the original on 2009-12-22.
- "2004 Official Michigan General Election Results - 22nd District State Representative 2 Year Term (1) Position Files In Wayne County". Archived from the original on 2011-04-16.
- "2002 Official Michigan General Election Results - 22nd District State Representative 2 Year Term (1) Position Files In Wayne County". Archived from the original on 2011-08-21.