Amirahmadi in 2016
24 May 1947|
Hashtpar, Gilan, Iran
University of Dallas
University of Tabriz
|Fields||International Economic Development and Planning and Iranian Political Economy|
Professor, Rutgers University|
Senior Associate, University of Oxford
President, American–Iranian Council
Hooshang Amirahmadi (Persian: هوشنگ امیراحمدی; born May 24, 1947) is an Iranian American academic and political analyst. Amirahmadi is a professor of the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, at Rutgers University. He has stepped forward as a candidate for Iranian presidential elections in 2005, 2013 and 2017.
Amirahmadi is the founder and president of American–Iranian Council, holds a Ph.D. in planning and international development from Cornell University and is a professor of the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University. He has served as director of Rutgers University's Center for Middle Eastern Studies, as chair and graduate director of his department at the Bloustein School, and as the University Coordinator of the Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program. Amirahmadi is also a founder of the Center for Iranian Research and Analysis and served as its director for many years. Amirahmadi is also the president of Caspian Associates, Inc., an international strategic consulting firm headquartered in Princeton, New Jersey.
Amirahmadi has published extensively on the topic of Middle-Eastern relations. He is the author of Revolution and Economic Transition: The Iranian Experience, an analysis of post-revolutionary Iran, and the three other books in Persian on civil society, industrial policy, and geopolitics of energy. He is also editor of ten books on Iran and the Greater Middle East, and 16 conference proceedings on US-Iran relations.
Amirahmadi was the presidential candidate of a reformist platform for the 2013 Iranian presidential elections.
Amirahmadi supported normalizing Iranian relations with the US, and using the opportunity for economic development. He supports gender equality and female career advancement. If elected, Amirahmadi's administration would have supported creating a coalition government in Syria.
- Revolution and Economic Transition: The Iranian Experience. SUNY Press. 1990. ISBN 9780791405109.
- The Caspian Region at a Crossroad: Challenges of a New Frontier of Energy and Development. Palgrave Macmillan. 2000. ISBN 9780312223519.
- Small Islands, Big Politics: The Tonbs and Abu Musa Islands in the Persian Gulf. Palgrave Macmillan. 1996. ISBN 9780312159108.
- The United States and the Middle East: A Search for New Perspectives. SUNY Press. 1993. ISBN 9780791412251.
- Post-Revolutionary Iran. Westview Press. 1988. ISBN 9780813372273.
- Iran and the Arab World. Macmillan. 1993. ISBN 9780333579244.
- Reconstruction and Regional Diplomacy in the Persian Gulf. Taylor & Francis. 1992. ISBN 9780415064859.
- Sawage, Sean (11 February 2013). "Iranian presidential candidate campaigns with new-age tactics in old-school country". JNS. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "Hooshang Amiramahdi, Ph.D." Rutgers University. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- Slavin, Barbara (12 March 2001). "U.S. to renew ban on trade with Iran White House takes its time on policy". USA Today. p. A.06.
- "Missile test does not vex expert on U.S.-Iran ties". The Washington Times. 29 July 1998.
- Staff (15 May 2005). "Iranian in U.S. takes on Tehran". The Washington Times.
- Dr. Hooshang Amirahmadi (5 March 2013). "I am running for the Iranian Presidency. My name is Dr. Hooshang Amirahmadi. Ask me anything (again)! (comment c8ptpkx)". Reddit. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Dr. Hooshang Amirahmadi (5 March 2013). "I am running for the Iranian Presidency. My name is Dr. Hooshang Amirahmadi. Ask me anything (again)! (comment 8psd8z)". Reddit. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Dr. Hooshang Amirahmadi (5 March 2013). "I am running for the Iranian Presidency. My name is Dr. Hooshang Amirahmadi. Ask me anything (again)! (comment c8pti7j)". Reddit. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Bahmani, Arash (22 May 2013). "The Arbiter of State Expediency is Disqualified". Rooz. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- Iranian-American professor gears up for presidential election, Track Persia, 29 March 2017, retrieved 29 March 2017