Hoosier Racing Tire
Hoosier Racing Tire is an American tire manufacturer primarily specializing in the production of tires for competition use. Based in Lakeville, Indiana the company was founded in 1957. Hoosier employs nearly 500 people, and has provided tires for use in series sanctioned by Grand-Am, IHRA, ARCA, CRA, NASCAR, IMCA, WISSOTA, SCCA, AIS, and Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series.
On November 23, 2012, it was announced that the UARA-Stars Late Model series would begin using Hoosier tires in 2013.
The business was purchased by Continental AG on October 4 of 2016. The tire company was purchased for a total nearing 140 million dollars. Following the purchase, 27 year veteran John DeSalle was named president.
Founded in Lakeville, Indiana the company was founded in 1957. Stock car racer Robert Newton wished to design a faster tire compound to gain an advantage against fellow racers. This was done by retreading street tires in order to obtain a compound that would adequately gain enough traction. Using an abandoned barn to start his business, he began sales to local racers. The Hoosier logo is colored after Newton's race car at the time which was purple.
Hoosier Racing Tire area at a 2013 ARCA Racing Series race
Kyle Busch Dirt Late Model with Hoosier Tires.
- "Continental acquires Hoosier Racing Tire". Motor1.com. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- "Hoosier Tire | About". www.hoosiertire.com. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- "UARA-STARS Switches to Hoosiers Tires for The 2013 Season". Short Track Action. November 23, 2012. Retrieved November 8, 2013.
- "Continental Acquires Hoosier Racing Tire". National Speed Sport News. 2016-10-05.
- Report, Tire Business. "Continental pays $140 million for Hoosier - Rubber & Plastics News". Rubber & Plastics News. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- Hevesi, Dennis (2012-09-28). "Robert Newton, Maker of Hoosier Racing Tires, Dies at 85". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-04-19.
- "Joyce Newton, Hoosier Racing Tire Co-Founder, 85". Joyce Newton, Hoosier Racing Tire Co-Founder, 85 | Performance Racing Industry. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- Pelt, Ted van (2009-08-05), English: Kyle Busch races his dirt late model in the 2009 "Battle at the Grove" charity race at Williams Grove Speedway in Pennsylvania., retrieved 2018-05-14
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hoosier tires.|
|This United States manufacturing company–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|