Hoover High School (Ohio)
|Hoover High School|
|525 7th Street NE
North Canton, Ohio 44720
|School district||North Canton City School District|
|Color(s)||Black and Orange
|Athletics conference||Federal League|
|Team name||The Vikings|
|Accreditation||Ohio Department of Education|
|Newspaper||The Viking Views|
Hoover High School is a public high school in North Canton, Ohio, United States.
The school's original name was North Canton High School which students referred to as No. Ca. Hi. In 1957, a new high school building was named in dedication to local resident William Henry "Boss" Hoover, founder of The Hoover Company.
Hoover High School had an "A" achievement rating for the 2013-2014 school year on their Ohio Report Card and also an "A" for graduation rate.
Hoover athletics teams compete as a member of the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) and as a member of the Federal League. Hoover's girls softball team has won the state championship seven times, in 1998, 1999, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2013. In addition, the girls cross country team placed second in the state championships in 2008. The boys lacrosse team won the Ohio High School Lacrosse Association (non-OHSAA) state championship in 2006, going 18-2 overall. The Hoover girls lacrosse team finished second in the state in 2010 and again in 2011.
In 1985, the Vikings reached the state finals in football and state was state runner-up in basketball. The Baseball team reached the Ohio Final Four in 1992 and 1999. Since joining the Federal League in 1968, the Hoover football program has claimed 21 Federal League Championships.
On November 25, 2008, Hoover High running back Erick Howard was awarded the AP's 22nd Mr. Football Award (Ohio). Howard earned the award a second time in 2009, becoming only the second player to win the award twice.
The Hoover High track & field team has also had success over the years. Ashley Muffet Duncan competed for Hoover from 2001-2005 and was a 3-time Ohio State Champion. Allison Peare (2006-2010) was also a State Champion in the 4x800 meter relay her senior year; both went on to become All-Americans at the University of Kentucky. In 2012, Madeline Morrow was the indoor and outdoor State Champion in the high jump and was selected to compete for Team USA in the 2012 World Junior Championships in Athletics in Barcelona, Spain. Morrow went on to accept an athletic scholarship from Duke University.
- Boys Basketball – 1939 (When known as North Canton H.S.)
- Boys Wrestling – 1965
- Girls Softball – 1998, 1999, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Girls Basketball - 2002
|This section does not cite any sources. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Hoover High School has a music program which is split into instrumental and vocal music departments.
The instrumental music department consists of many performing ensembles. In fall, the band members participate in the Viking Marching Band which marches in all Hoover football games, several area band shows, and the Timken Grand Parade. When football season ends, the band splits up into a Freshman Band (D), Concert Band (B), and Symphonic Band (AA). All bands have consistently received superior ratings at competitions. Other ensembles in the instrumental department include Pep Band, two Jazz Bands, String Orchestra, and Full Orchestra as well as numerous small ensembles. The band and orchestra students take trips to places such as Walt Disney World every two years.
The choirs in the vocal department are the Freshman Choir, A-Cappella Choir, Hi-Notes, Women's Chorale, and the elite Hi-Lo's ensemble. Along with these choirs, the vocal music department puts on an annual musical. They also put on the annual May Fiesta concert which highlights all ensembles in the district as well as musical numbers by the years' seniors.
- Austin Appleby College football player
- Dick Snyder Former NBA player
- Rabbit Warstler, Former MLB player (Boston Red Sox, Philadelphia Athletics, Boston Bees, Chicago Cubs)
Notes and references
- "A Bit of North Canton History". Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- DeMuesy, Nan. "Support the Vikings, buy some FieldTurf: It just might grow better if it's 'No.Ca.Hi.'". The CantonRepository. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- "2013-2014 Report Card for Hoover High School". Ohio School Report Cards. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- "OhioStateBuckeyes.com Ashley Muffet Duncan Bio :: The Ohio State University Official Athletic Site The Ohio State University Official Athletic Site :: Women's Track". www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com. Retrieved 2016-04-14.
- "About". hoover track and field. Retrieved 2016-04-14.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball A". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Wrestling". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Softball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- NFL Football Players from Stark County, Ohio, Federal League