Hope High School (Rhode Island)
|This article or section may be slanted towards recent events. (July 2014)|
|Hope High School|
|Providence, Rhode Island
Hope High School is a public high school in the East Side of Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A. operated by Providence Public School District. It was founded in 1898. Its current building was completed in June 1936.
The triune system was developed in an attempt to remedy a history of exceptionally low test scores (2008 SAT combined score was 1047, over 900 points lower than Moses Brown School, a private school 2 blocks away) at Hope High School. Many regard Hope High - and the future success or failure of these reforms - as a "litmus test" for educational reform in Rhode Island.
It serves grades 9-12 with a total of 1449 students.
|Ethnicity||This school||State average|
|Black, not Hispanic||30%||8%|
|White, not Hispanic||12%||71%|
|American Indian/Alaskan Native||<1%||<1%|
Source: NCES, 2003-2004
Hope High School won four baseball championships and three football championships between 1918 and 1929. Hope won the 1917, 1928, 1930, and 1992 state interscholastic outdoor track meet championships. The cross country team was the division two state champions 1988-1992. Hope's soccer team won the Rhode Island division 1 championship in 2006. In 1938 Hope High's basketball team not only won the RI Schoolboy State Championship, the boys from Hope Street went on to win the New England Basketball Championship hosted in Connecticut. Charles Melay Simon earned all New England Honors to go along with his RI Schoolboy All State Honors.
- Richard S. Aldrich, U.S. Representative
- Edward Beard, U.S. Representative
- Deon Anderson, former NFL player
- Ray Jarvis, MLB player (Boston Red Sox)
- H. P. Lovecraft, horror author
- Public buildings a survey of architecture of projects constructed by federal and other governmental bodies between the years 1933 and 1939 with the assistance of the Public Works Administration. p. 191.
- GINA MACRIS (August 28, 2003). "Reformed Hope High makes debut". projo.com. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- Rhode Island. Dept. of State (1916). Manual, with Rules and Orders, for the Use of the General Assembly of the State of Rhode Island. Rhode Island. Dept. of State. p. 393.
- "BEARD, Edward Peter, (1940 - )". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Deon Anderson". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Ray Jarvis Stats". Baseball Almnac. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "H.P. Lovecraft Biography". biography.com. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "CCRI Foundation to honor Avedisian, Caprio, White for changing lives". Warwick Online (Becon Communications). 15 November 2012. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hope High School (Rhode Island).|