Hopewell Township, Bedford County, Pennsylvania
A farm in Hopewell Township
Map of Bedford County, Pennsylvania highlighting Hopewell Township
Map of Bedford County, Pennsylvania
|• Total||34.47 sq mi (89.27 km2)|
|• Land||34.20 sq mi (88.58 km2)|
|• Water||0.27 sq mi (0.69 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||57.51/sq mi (22.21/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
- ZIP code: 16650
- Area code: 814
- Local telephone exchange: 928
Hopewell Township is located in northeastern Bedford County. It is bordered to the north by Liberty Township, to the east by Broad Top Township, to the south by West Providence Township, to the southwest by Snake Spring Township, and to the northwest by South Woodbury Township. The borough of Hopewell touches the eastern border of the township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Hopewell Township has a total area of 34.5 square miles (89.3 km2), of which 34.2 square miles (88.6 km2) is land and 0.27 square miles (0.7 km2), or 0.77%, is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,894 people, 746 households, and 555 families residing in the township. The population density was 55.4 people per square mile (21.4/km²). There were 866 housing units at an average density of 25.3/sq mi (9.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 99.21% White, 0.11% African American, 0.05% Native American, and 0.63% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.58% of the population.
There were 746 households, out of which 31.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.7% were married couples living together, 8.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.5% were non-families. 22.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the township the population was spread out, with 23.6% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 30.3% from 25 to 44, 25.2% from 45 to 64, and 14.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 96.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $34,620, and the median income for a family was $39,939. Males had a median income of $28,967 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,245. About 9.0% of families and 9.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.8% of those under age 18 and 15.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Hopewell township, Bedford County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/advanced-viewer/ The National Map, retrieved 13 October 2018
- Pennsylvania State Game Lands Number 73, retrieved 13 October 2018
- Pennsylvania State Game Lands Number 108, retrieved 11 November 2018
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.