Location of Horatio in Sevier County, Arkansas.
|• Total||1.80 sq mi (4.66 km2)|
|• Land||1.78 sq mi (4.62 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.04 km2)|
|Elevation||404 ft (123 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||583.52/sq mi (225.25/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0077224|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.8 square miles (4.7 km2), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 997 people, 377 households, and 265 families residing in the city. The population density was 546.0 people per square mile (210.4/km²). There were 423 housing units at an average density of 231.6/sq mi (89.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 84.95% White, 2.71% Black or African American, 1.81% Native American, 0.20% Asian, 8.53% from other races, and 1.81% from two or more races. 14.94% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 377 households out of which 38.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.3% were married couples living together, 13.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.7% were non-families. 26.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the city, the population was spread out with 31.2% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 28.1% from 25 to 44, 18.3% from 45 to 64, and 15.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $27,419, and the median income for a family was $31,000. Males had a median income of $26,339 versus $15,547 for females. The per capita income for the city was $11,738. About 12.6% of families and 13.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.6% of those under age 18 and 22.1% of those age 65 or over.
Public education is provided to elementary and secondary students by the Horatio School District leading to graduation at Horatio High School (grades 7–12) after matriculating Horatio Elementary School (grades prekindergarten through sixth).
- Darrell Brown - became the first black player for the University of Arkansas in 1965. Brown grew up in Horatio and became a prominent lawyer after college.
- Billy Hughes, a Country music singer in the 1940s, died in Horatio in 1995. One of his more famous songs was "Cocaine Blues"; a similar version of the song was performed by Johnny Cash.
- DeAnn Vaught - Horatio farmer and Republican member since 2015 of the Arkansas House of Representatives for Sevier and Little River counties
- "2017 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 22, 2018.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved March 24, 2018.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "DeAnn Vaught". arkansashouse.org. Retrieved April 1, 2015.