Looking west at downtown Horicon
Location of Horicon, Wisconsin
|• Total||3.42 sq mi (8.86 km2)|
|• Land||3.21 sq mi (8.31 km2)|
|• Water||0.21 sq mi (0.54 km2)|
|Elevation||883 ft (269 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||3,623|
|• Density||1,138.6/sq mi (439.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1566696|
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,655 people, 1,497 households, and 1,006 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,138.6 inhabitants per square mile (439.6/km2). There were 1,620 housing units at an average density of 504.7 per square mile (194.9/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 95.7% White, 0.4% African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 1.6% from other races, and 1.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.1% of the population.
There were 1,497 households of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.3% were married couples living together, 9.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 32.8% were non-families. 27.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.94.
The median age in the city was 38.7 years. 24.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.7% were from 25 to 44; 27.9% were from 45 to 64; and 13.4% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.1% male and 49.9% female.
As of the census of 2000, there are 3,775 people, 1,474 households, and 1,037 families residing in the city. The population density is 1,126.8 people per square mile (435.1/km²). There are 1,584 housing units at an average density of 472.8 per square mile (182.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city is 97.59% White, 0.40% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 1.03% from other races, and 0.53% from two or more races. 2.09% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 1,474 households out of which 34.8% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.5% are married couples living together, 7.7% have a female householder with no husband present, and 29.6% are non-families. 25.4% of all households are made up of individuals and 10.5% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.56 and the average family size is 3.06.
In the city the population is spread out with 26.6% under the age of 18, 8.5% from 18 to 24, 30.3% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 12.7% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 36 years. For every 100 females there are 98.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 97.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city is $50,577, and the median income for a family is $58,393. Males have a median income of $38,008 versus $26,278 for females. The per capita income for the city is $21,690. 2.1% of the population and 0.6% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 1.6% of those under the age of 18 and 0.4% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Horicon is home of the John Deere Horicon Works, which produces lawn and garden tractors, golf and turf reel mowers, and utility vehicles. Daniel Van Brunt, the inventor of the grain-drill and founder of what became John Deere Horicon Works, also founded Horicon Bank in 1896.
The "Dodge County Pionier" took over the "Horicon Reporter" in 2009 to cover news in Horicon the surrounding area.
The School District of Horicon serves the area. It consists of Van Brunt Elementary School and Horicon High School.
Horicon Public Library
The Horicon Public Library is a member of the Mid-Wisconsin Federated Library System (MWFLS)and is in the SHARE consortium, which shares materials with 52 other public and school libraries throughout Dodge, Jefferson, Racine, Walworth and Washington Counties in southeastern Wisconsin. The small-town evaluation program "First Impressions," a program for community assessment and improvement, in 2009, stated that the Horicon Public Library was "outstanding."
- Hiram Barber - Wisconsin businessman and politician
- Hiram Barber, Jr. - U.S. Representative from Illinois
- Satterlee Clark, Jr. - Wisconsin legislator
- Charles Hawks, Jr. - U.S. Representative
- Charles A. Kading - U.S. Representative
- Adrian Karsten - ESPN reporter
- Esther Doughty Luckhardt - Wisconsin State Assembly
- William H. Markham - Wisconsin State Senate
- Bradley Phillips - Wisconsin State Assembly
- Fran Ulmer - former Lieutenant Governor of Alaska and former Chancellor of the University of Alaska Anchorage
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- School District of Horicon
- Mid-Wisconsin Federated Library System http://www.mwfls.org/memberlibraries.asp, SHARE Libraries https://www.sharelibraries.info
- Teams offer ways to make Horicon more attractive http://www.wiscnews.com/bdc/news/local/article_dd953e87-4e37-5e56-98b5-736fc2a325ea.html
- 'Collections of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin,' Wisconsin Historical Society: 1882, Wisconsin Necrology-1881, p. 462
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Horicon, Wisconsin.|