Horizon Forbidden West
|Horizon Forbidden West|
|Publisher(s)||Sony Interactive Entertainment|
|Director(s)||Mathijs de Jonge|
Horizon Forbidden West is an upcoming action role-playing game developed by Guerrilla Games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment. It is set to be released in 2021 for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. A sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn (2017), it features an open world in a post-apocalyptic western United States.
Horizon Forbidden West continues the story of Aloy, a young huntress of the Nora tribe sent on a quest to the arcane frontier known as the Forbidden West to find the source of a mysterious plague that kills all it infects. On her journey across these uncharted lands, Aloy encounters hostile regions ravaged by massive storms and occupied by dangerous enemies and deadly machines. She also discovers a vast array of environments and ecosystems, including lush valleys, dry deserts, snowy mountains, tropical beaches and ruined cities, both above and below the water.
Horizon Forbidden West is an action role-playing game played from the third-person perspective. Players control Aloy, a huntress in a world populated by dangerous machines. Set in an open world located in post-apocalyptic California, Utah and Nevada, the game will explore the mysterious frontier known as the Forbidden West. The map will be larger than in the previous game, filled with secrets that lie beneath ruins from the world of the Old Ones. The game will feature a multitude of recognizable locations including a ruined San Francisco and the Yosemite Valley with various biomes. One of the main additions to the sequel is the element of underwater exploration. Players will be able to uncover the mysteries beneath the surface of seas, lakes and rivers. The game will also feature enhanced melee combat, revamped climbing mechanics and improved traversal options over the original game with the addition of the Valor Surge system, freeform climbing and tools such as the Shieldwing, Focus Scanner, Diving Mask and Pullcaster.
Development and release
Horizon Forbidden West is a sequel to 2017's Horizon Zero Dawn. It is being developed by Guerrilla Games and will be published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. The game director is Mathijs de Jonge whilst the narrative director is Benjamin McCaw. Ashly Burch, Lance Reddick and John Hopkins reprise their roles as Aloy and Sylens and Erend, respectively. The game was announced during Sony's PlayStation 5 reveal event in June 2020 and is expected to be released in 2021. In June 2021, head of PlayStation Studios, Hermen Hulst, said they are on track for a late 2021 release, but development was being partly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, as they were having trouble getting access to performance capture and talent.
On June 3, 2021, Guerilla released an extended play (EP) entitled The Isle of Spires composed of four tracks. The Flight (composed of Joe Henson and Alexis Smith), Joris de Man, and Niels van de Leest are set to return to compose an original score for the game alongside Oleksa Lozowchuk.
The PlayStation 5 version of the game will take advantage of the console's increased processing power, custom solid state drive storage, Tempest Engine and DualSense controller to support features such as advanced haptic feedback, 3D spatial audio, enhanced lighting, improved visual effects and reduced loading times.
The PlayStation 5 version of Horizon Forbidden West will support an optional "performance mode" that allows the game to run at 60 frames per second with a lower base resolution. The game will also feature an updated version of the Decima engine with support for high dynamic range.
A comic book series, set after the events of the first game, was published by Titan Comics on 5 August 2020. On May 27, 2021, Guerrilla Games showcased a 14-minute PlayStation 5 gameplay demo for Horizon Forbidden West, in Sony's State of Play presentation.
- Statt, Nick (November 9, 2020). "Sony clarifies when to expect some of the PS5's biggest 2021 games". The Verge. Retrieved November 9, 2020.
- Tolbert, Samuel (June 23, 2020). "Horizon Forbidden West for PS5: List of all machines, both new and returning". Android Central. Retrieved July 23, 2020.
- Singh, Surej (July 31, 2020). "New explorable regions in 'Horizon Forbidden West' revealed". New Musical Express. Retrieved July 31, 2020.
- Reeves, Brianna (16 June 2020). "Comparison Photos Show Horizon Forbidden West's San Francisco Landmarks Alongside Modern Counterparts". Playstation Lifestyle. Retrieved 5 July 2020.
- Woo, Ginny; Gurwin, Gabe (11 June 2020). "Horizon: Forbidden West Confirmed At PS5 Reveal Event". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- Avard, Alex; Sheridan, Connor (11 June 2020). "Horizon Forbidden West is the Zero Dawn sequel and it's headed to PS5". GamesRadar+. Future plc. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- Crouse, Megan (June 16, 2020). "Horizon Forbidden West: 7 Things We Want to See in the PS5 Game". Den of Geek. Retrieved July 23, 2020.
- Gartenberg, Chaim (June 17, 2020). "Horizon Forbidden West aiming for a 2021 launch on PS5". The Verge. Retrieved July 23, 2020.
- Gingerich, Megan (June 4, 2021). "Horizon Forbidden West: All Combat and Traversal Improvements Shown in the Recent Trailer". FameRant. Retrieved June 5, 2021.
- Dornbush, Jonathon (11 June 2020). "Horizon 2: Forbidden West Announced for PS5". IGN. Ziff Davis. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- Bonifacic, Igor (September 16, 2020). "'Horizon Forbidden West' is also coming to PS4". Engadget. Retrieved September 16, 2020.
- Jonathon, Dornbush (June 3, 2021). "Horizon Forbidden West: New Details on Free Climbing, Combat Revealed". IGN. Ziff Davis. Retrieved June 3, 2021.
- Sarkar, Samit (11 June 2020). "Horizon Forbidden West announced for PS5". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- Horizon Forbidden West - State of Play Gameplay Reveal | PS5, retrieved 2021-05-29
- "Horizon Forbidden West - Guerrilla Talks". 17 June 2020. Retrieved 17 June 2020.
- Shuman, Sid (June 2, 2021). "Hermen Hulst Q&A: What's Next for PlayStation Studios". PlayStation.Blog. Sony Interactive Entertainment. Retrieved June 2, 2021.
- McAllister, Gillen (June 3, 2021). "The music of Horizon Forbidden West: meet the composers". PlayStation.Blog. Sony Interactive Entertainment. Retrieved June 3, 2021.
- Riley, Sean (June 14, 2020). "Horizon: Forbidden West release date, gameplay, story and more". Laptop Mag. Retrieved July 30, 2020.
- Wood, Chandler (August 20, 2020). "Developers Detail Unique Ways They Are Using the PS5 DualSense Controller's Adaptive Triggers and Haptic Feedback". Playstation Lifestyle. Retrieved August 25, 2020.
- Barker, Sammy (June 18, 2020). "PS5 Will Ensure There's Virtually No Loading Screens in Horizon Forbidden West". PushSquare. Retrieved July 28, 2020.
- Sheridan, Connor (June 3, 2021). "Horizon Forbidden West 60 FPS Performance Mode confirmed for PS5". GamesRadar+. Retrieved June 5, 2021.
- Kat, Alex (May 27, 2021). "Horizon Forbidden West State of Play: Lots of New Gameplay, But No Release Date Yet". IGN. Ziff Davis. Retrieved June 3, 2021.
- Robinson, Andy (21 May 2020). "Horizon Zero Dawn's sequel comic will now release in August". Video Games Chronicle. Gamer Network. Archived from the original on 22 June 2020. Retrieved 22 June 2020.