||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: sourcing (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Services||Substance abuse rehabilitation
Mental health services
Horizon Services, Inc. (HSI) is a nonprofit social service organization providing alcohol and drug treatment and recovery, mental health recovery, and substance abuse prevention services in Alameda, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties in the San Francisco Bay Area of California. The executive director is Keith Lewis, who has held the position since 1986. Their programs utilize the Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous models, along with other methods of treatment. HSI is based in Hayward, California, which is a source for some of their funding.
Horizon Services began providing services in 1974, with a contract from Alameda County to provide sober living support services for men re-entering the work force. In 1980, they opened a women-only facility, Chrysalis, in Oakland. In 1981, they opened Cronin House, a co-ed residential treatment program in Hayward. Keith Lewis became executive director in 1986, and introduced their first detoxification program, Palm Avenue Detox, in San Mateo. In 1989, with funding from Alameda County, they created an alcohol dependency prevention program, CommPre. This program was expanded to now incorporate tobacco, marijuana, prescription drugs and over-the-counter medication abuse. In 1992, HSI began operating a men’s detox and treatment program in San Jose. The Bascom Avenue Rehabilitation Facility eventually became known as Horizon South. In 1993, the independently founded youth services agency, Project Eden, began to be administered by HSI. It now provides services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth. In 1995, Eden sponsored the first Hayward Gay Prom as an alcohol-free alternative venue to high school proms. Attendees have come from out-of-county districts, and some from other states and the United Kingdom, and is one of the longest running, and oldest, gay proms. In 1994 they began administering the previously independent Mandana Community Recovery Center. Mandana closed in 2010, due to funding shortfalls. The most recently created program is Cherry Hill Detoxification Services, a co-ed sobering station and social model drug detoxification residential program in San Leandro. It is the only sobering station and detox facility operating in Alameda County.
The focus of HSI has changed over the years, to include a broader range of social issues and populations. Starting with service to alcohol dependent men, it now serves both adults and youth, and addresses both alcohol and drug problems. The program estimates that currently at least 50% of program participants have a co-occurring mental illness. HSI began operating a clinical services department, with staffing by clinical psychologists, in 1996, to address this populations' needs.
- Cherry Hill Detox and Sobering Station, San Leandro
- Palm Avenue Detox, San Mateo
- Horizon South, Santa Clara County
- Cronin House, Hayward
- Chrysalis, Oakland
- CommPre (Community Prevention of Alcohol-Related Problems), Hayward
- Project Eden, Hayward
- the Graduate Training Program, providing clinical internships
- "Oakland’s Mandana House to close June 20", San Francisco Business Times, May 4, 2010
- Parr, Rebecca (11 June 2012). "Hayward social and cultural services facing cuts". mercurynews.com.
- [dead link]
- "News in brief: LGBT youth proms in SF, East Bay", Bay Area Reporter, 5/27/2010
- Parr, Rebecca (13 June 2013). "San Francisco International LGBT Film Festival includes Hayward gay prom documentary". mercurynews.com.
- Mandana website press release
- Mieszkowski, Katharine (May 6, 2010). "Sampler: Drug Lab Is Shut Down, and Highway 101 Gets a Makeover". Bay Area (Blog) (The New York Times).
- "Cost overruns delay detox ward" The Daily Review, Dec. 20, 2007
- "Our History". Horizon Services, Inc.
- "Cherry Hill Detoxification Program Services". Horizon Services, Inc.
- Holzmeister, Karen (29 June 2008). "At Cherry Hill, 'every day is still a struggle"". EastBayTimes.com.
- "Palm Avenue Detox". Horizon Services, Inc.
- "Horizon South". Horizon Services, Inc.
- "Cronin House". Horizon Services, Inc.
- Chrysalis at HSI website
- CommPre at HSI website
- "Project Eden". Horizon Services, Inc.
- "Clinical Services & Internships". Horizon Services, Inc.