Dale Pendell (1947 - 13 Jan.2018) is a contemporary author who combines science and poetry in his explications of the relationship between psychoactive compounds and human beings. A long time student of ethnobotany, Pendell discusses historical and cultural uses of "power plants" in his works. He reads and distills the literature of pharmacology and neuroscience, of ethnobotany and anthropology, of mythology and political economics as they intersect with the direct experience of human psychoactive use.
His publications include the Pharmako Trilogy: Pharmako/Poeia (1994), Pharmako/Dynamis (2002), and Pharmako/Gnosis (2005), all published by Mercury House. He covers all the major categories of psychoactives and details the use, the pharmacology, the chemistry, the political and social historical implications and effects of the use of psychoactives.
He is also a myth critic. Certain of his works comment on the origins of cultural myths.
- The Gold-Dust Wilderness (1971)
- Physics for the Heart (1985)
- Chasing the Cranes, with Steve Sanfield, (1986)
- City Limits Blues (1986)
- Rough Cuts & Kindling (1986)
- Swirling (1986)
- Mokujiki: Thirteen Tanka, with Kazuaki Tanahashi, (1988)
- Pharmako/Poeia: Plant Powers, Poisons, and Herbcraft (1995)
- Living With Barbarians: A Few Plant Poems (1999)
- Pharmako/Dynamis: Stimulating Plants, Potions, & Herbcraft (2002)
- Pharmako/Gnosis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path (2006)
- Inspired Madness: the Gifts of Burning Man (2006)
- Walking with Nobby, Conversations with Norman O. Brown (2008)
- The Language of Birds, Some Notes on Chance and Divination (2009)
- The Great Bay: Chronicles of the Collapse (2010)
- Equations of Power (2013)
- Salting the Boundaries (2014)
- Seeking Faust (2014)
- Snyder, Gary. "Pharmako/Poeia: Plant Powers, Poisons and Herbcraft." Whole Earth, Summer 1997: 98. Academic OneFile. Gale Document Number: GALE|A19777487
- Cohen, George. "Pharmako/Poeia: Plant Powers, Poisons and Herbcraft." Booklist, 15 Mar. 1995: 1296. Academic OneFile. Gale Document Number: GALE|A16848594
- Richard Gehr (August 20, 2002). "Speed Junkies". Village Voice. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- "The poetry of stimulants." Whole Earth, Summer 2002: 38. Academic OneFile. Gale Document Number: GALE|A89646379
- Sarah Fox (Summer 2003). "Pharmako/Dynamis". Rain Taxi. Archived from the original on October 15, 2013. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- Emily Green (May 13, 2007). "The high life". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- "Literary Review: 'Pharmako/Gnosis' by Dale Pendell". Psychedelic Press UK. 7 August 2012. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- Podcast 055, "Horizon anarchism", Burning Man, 2006
- Official site & blog
- Erowid's Dale Pendell vault
- Erowid review of Pharmako/Gnosis
- 'Magical Practice', a discussion with Dale at the World Psychedelic Forum, Basel, 2008 (MP3 available)
- Dreamflesh.com review of Pharmako/Poeia
|This article about a United States writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This American poet–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This hallucinogen-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|