|EP by Nirvana|
|Released||February 5, 1992|
|Producer||Dale Griffin, Craig Montgomery|
Hormoaning is an EP by the American rock band Nirvana. It was released on February 5, 1992 through DGC Records and Geffen Records. It was released in Australia and Japan only, during the band's tour there.
"Aneurysm" and "Even in His Youth", two Nirvana originals produced and engineered by Craig Montgomery, also appear as b-sides on the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" single. This version of "Aneurysm" later appeared on disc two of the rarities box set With the Lights Out in 2004 and is different from the version released on Incesticide in 1992.
The other four songs are from a Peel Session, recorded for BBC Radio on October 21, 1990. "Turnaround" (originally by Devo), "Son of a Gun" and "Molly's Lips" (originally by The Vaselines) appear on the Incesticide album. "D-7" is a cover of the Wipers song and appears on the UK version of the "Lithium" single and later on disc 2 of With the Lights Out in 2004.
In Australia, 15,000 official copies were released: 4,000 on burgundy 12" vinyl, 10,000 on CD, and 1,000 on cassette. There were two different pressings of the Australian CD, one with a silver CD and one with a blue CD. In Japan it was released on CD in large quantities. The Australian and Japanese releases have entirely different artwork. The Australian version is considered rare due to the limited numbers.
There were only two official Japanese pressings, both on CD with barely noticeable variations in artwork. The Japanese CDs were rushed out without prior consent from the US parent company and as a result the cover art is taken from the inside artwork of the Nevermind album.
All Japanese vinyl copies are counterfeit. Counterfeit versions of the Japanese CD's also exist and the Australian blue CD version has also been counterfeited. The Australian silver CD is the only official version of which counterfeit copies are not known to exist.
- "Turnaround" (Casale, Mothersbaugh) – 2:21
- "Aneurysm" (Cobain, Grohl, Novoselic) – 4:49
- "D-7" (Sage) – 3:47
- "Son of a Gun" (Kelly, McKee) – 2:50
- "Even in His Youth" (Cobain) – 3:07
- "Molly's Lips" (Kelly, McKee) – 1:53
1992 original release
|Australian (ARIA) Albums Chart||2|
|Japanese (Oricon) Albums Chart||67|
2011 Record Store Day re-release
|U.S Billboard Tastemaker Albums Chart||20|
The following table shows the release history of official releases of Hormoaning.
|Year||Country||Type||Number of copies produced||Record label|
|1992||Australia||Compact Disc (Blue)||5000||Geffen Records|
|Compact Disc (Silver)||5000|
|Vinyl record (Burgundy)||4000|
|Japan||Compact Disc (Two versions)||Unknown||Geffen Records (Japan)|
|2011||United States||Vinyl record (Black)||6000||Universal Music Group|
- Mike Engles – engineering on "Turnaround", "D-7", "Son of a Gun", and "Molly's Lips"
- Dale Griffin – production on "Turnaround", "D-7", "Son of a Gun", and "Molly's Lips"
- Fred Kay – engineer on "Turnaround", "D-7", "Son of a Gun", and "Molly's Lips"
- Craig Montgomery – production, engineer on "Aneurysm" and "Even in His Youth"
- Andy Wallace – mixing on "Aneurysm" and "Even in His Youth"
- "Record Store Day 2011". Bull Moose. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- Steffen Hung. "Australian charts portal". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- "Hormoaning" (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2009-10-06.
- Nirvana Tastemaker Albums billboard.com. Retrieved 27 April, 2014.