Hornby Village Institute
|Hornby Village Institute|
|Location||Main Street, Hornby, Lancashire, England|
|OS grid reference|
|Built for||Colonel Foster|
|Architect||Austin and Paley|
|Governing body||Hornby Village Trust|
|Designated||3 October 2003|
Hornby Village Institute is a public building in Main Street, Hornby, Lancashire, England. It is considered to be important architecturally, and is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.
The building was designed by the Lancaster architects Austin and Paley, and was the last public building to be designed by the practice before the death of Hubert Austin in 1915. It was completed in 1916, and was paid for by the lord of the manor, Colonel Foster. By the 1950s more accommodation was needed, and an extension was added to the rear in 1956, helped by a donation from Sir Harold Parkinson of Hornby Castle. Another extension was added in 2005, designed by Harrison Pitt Architects.
The original part of the building is in Jacobean style. It is constructed in rubble stone with ashlar dressings and a slate roof. The central bay projects forward and contains a porch with a round-headed entrance flanked by pilasters. Above this are four windows, with the word "INSTITUTE" below. At the top of the bay is a semi-circular pediment containing a crested plaque. The lateral bays have four windows in the lower storey, and blind windows above.
- Listed buildings in Hornby-with-Farleton
- List of non-ecclesiastical works by Austin and Paley (1895–1914)
- Historic England, "Hornby Village Institute (1390686)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 14 December 2012
- Brandwood, Geoff; Austin, Tim; Hughes, John; Price, James (2012), The Architecture of Sharpe, Paley and Austin, Swindon: English Heritage, p. 171, ISBN 978-1-84802-049-8
- History of the Institute, Hornby Village Trust, retrieved 14 December 2012
- Hartwell, Clare; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2009) , Lancashire: North, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 346, ISBN 978-0-300-12667-9
- Welcome, Hornby Village Trust, retrieved 14 December 2012
- Weddings And Civil Partnerships, Hornby Village Trust, retrieved 14 December 2012