Hornnes og Iveland
|Hornnes og Iveland herred|
|• Total||640 km2 (250 sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+01:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+02:00)|
|Created as||Formannskapsdistrikt in 1838|
|Split into||Hornnes and Iveland in 1886|
Hornnes og Iveland is a former municipality in Aust-Agder county, Norway. The 640-square-kilometre (250 sq mi) municipality included all of the present-day municipality of Iveland and the western half of the present-day municipality of Evje og Hornnes in the Setesdal region. The administrative centre was the village of Hornnes where the Hornnes Church is located. The other church in the municipality was the Iveland Church in the village of Birketveit.
The parish of Hordnæs og Iveland was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). According to the 1835 census, the municipality had a population of 1,848. On 1 January 1886, Hornnes og Iveland was divided to create two separate municipalities: Hornnes (population: 1,113) and Iveland (population: 1,103). The municipality of Iveland still exists today, while Hornnes currently a part of the municipality of Evje og Hornnes.
The parish of Hornnes is named after an old Hornnes farm (Old Norse: Hornnes), since the first Hornnes Church was built there. The first element is horn which means "horn" and the last element is nes which means "headland". So the meaning of Hornnes is "the headland shaped like a horn".
The parish of Iveland is named after the old Iveland farm (Old Norse: Ífuland), since the first Iveland Church was built there. The first element is the genitive case of the river name Ífa (now called the Frøysåna) and the last element is land which means "land" or "farm". The old river name is probably derived from the Norse word ýr which means "yew" (Taxus baccata).
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Aust-Agder.|
- Thorsnæs, Geir, ed. (2015-07-10). "Hornnes". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 2017-05-22.
- Thorsnæs, Geir, ed. (2016-04-05). "Iveland". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 2017-05-22.
- "Hjemmehørende folkemengde Aust-Agder 1801-1960" (in Norwegian). University of Tromsø: Registreringssentral for historiske data.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.
- Rygh, Oluf (1905). Norske gaardnavne: Nedenes amt (in Norwegian) (8 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 184.
- Rygh, Oluf (1905). Norske gaardnavne: Nedenes amt (in Norwegian) (8 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 179.