Horns Rev 2
|Horns Rev 2|
|Location||Horns Rev, East North Sea|
|Construction began||May 2008|
|Commission date||November 2009|
|Construction cost||€448 million|
|Max. water depth||9–17 m (30–56 ft)|
|Distance from shore||30 km (19 mi)|
|Hub height||68 m (223 ft)|
|Rotor diameter||93 m (305 ft)|
|Rated wind speed||10 m/s (33 ft/s)|
|Make and model||Siemens Wind Power: SWP 2.3-93|
|Nameplate capacity||209 MW|
Horns Rev 2 is an offshore wind farm located on Horns Rev (Horns Reef) in a shallow area in the eastern North Sea, about 30 km (19 mi) off the westernmost point of Denmark, Blåvands Huk. When inaugurated in 2009, Horns Rev 2 was the largest offshore wind farm in the world until Thanet Wind Farm opened on 23 September 2010.
In May 2008, Dong Energy began construction of the second wind farm in the Horns Rev area, Horns Rev 2. Construction was completed in September 2009 and was inaugurated on September 17, 2009 by Prince Frederik on the Poseidon accommodation platform. For the year of 2012, HR2 reached a capacity factor of 52.0%. It receives 51.8 øre/kWh for the first 50,000 hours, paid by electricity consumers. The farm has had some cable outages, and blades are being renovated.
It has the first offshore wind farm accommodation platform in the world, named Poseidon. It is connected by walkway to the transformator platform, and is 750 square metres (8,100 sq ft) large with 3 decks and weighs 422 tons. On-site accommodation is cheaper and more efficient than transporting service personnel by boat 2 hours from Esbjerg harbour 60 kilometres (37 mi) away. A turbine is visited 10 times a year on average, mostly for routine service, and 1-2 times for fixing faults. Flying people by helicopter to turbines like on Horns Rev 1 is not possible on Horns Rev 2 as the turbines there are not built for it, although the transformator platform has a helipad. Poseidon has 24 rooms of 12 square meters each fitted with TV and internet. There is a gym, kitchen, dining room, laundry room, and a study room. Inspired by Poseidon, a similar platform is being built at the DanTysk wind farm.
- Horns Rev
- Wind power in Denmark
- List of offshore wind farms in Denmark
- List of offshore wind farms
- List of offshore wind farms in the North Sea
- "Where the Wind Blows". Nordic Investment Bank. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Capacity factors at Danish offshore wind farms", 18 September 2013. Retrieved: 22 October 2013.
- Matthew McDermott. "Denmark Inaugurates World's Largest Offshore Wind Farm - 209 MW Horns Rev 2" Treehugger
- Stromsta, Karl-Erik (17 September 2009). "DONG cuts the ribbon at 209MW Horns Rev 2 project". ReCharge. NHST Media Group. (subscription required). Retrieved 19 November 2010.
- James Kanter. Largest Offshore Wind Farm to Go Online Green Inc., 15 September 2009.
- "Fremskrivning af PSO-udgifter" page 4. Danish Energy Agency, 19 May 2014. Retrieved: 17 January 2015.
- Accommodation Platform , DONG Energy. Retrieved February 2010.
- Krøyer, Kent. I kamp mod bølgerne: Teknikere besøger hver havmølle 10 gange om året (in Danish) Ing.dk, 14 December 2009. Accessed: 14 January 2015.
- Naming Ceremony, DONG Energy. Retrieved February 2010.
- Wittrup, Sanne. Vattenfall bygger verdens største beboelsesplatform ved havmøllepark (in Danish) Ing.dk, 14 January 2015. Accessed: 14 January 2015.
- Horns Rev 2
- Géopolitique Energétique Horns Rev 2 en Français
- Video and text of Horns Rev 2 and Poseidon, 0:30-1:25. CNN Earth's Frontiers, 3 March 2010. Retrieved 6 March 2010.
- LORC - Datasheet for Horns Rev 2 Offshore Wind Farm
- Power during high wind (video from DTU)