|Genres||Australian hip hop|
|Years active||2006 — present|
|Members||Adit Gauchan (Adit)
Nick Bryant-Smith (MC Solo)
Horrorshow is an Australian hip hop duo from the Inner West area of Sydney, Australia. The duo consists of Solo (vocals) and Adit (producer). Together with Spit Syndicate, Jackie Onassis and Joyride, Horrorshow are members of the One Day crew from the inner-west of Sydney.
Horrorshow have published three albums since 2008 as well as two singles and a recorded set of an acoustic performance (featuring Joyride, amongst others) which was labelled "Live at the Spiegeltent".
The Grey Space
After signing with the Elefant Traks label, the pair released their debut album The Grey Space, an album created largely during the duo's high school years, at a time where they linked up with Spit Syndicate and Joyride to form the extended One Day crew. Elefant Traks artist and co-founder Urthboy explained the duo's recruitment in a blog post published in the lead-up to the release of Horrorshow's third album:
When Horrorshow brought me The Grey Space I deduced that they were fans of Atmosphere. They wouldn’t put "Walk You Home" on it, making the better decision to keep it for their unfinished second album, despite my wishes at the time. The first wanna join the Elefants conversation I had with them took place on the balcony at our studio/office at the time in Enmore. I remember telling them that the only way Elefant Traks could develop was if the likes of Horrorshow took the possibilities opened up by The Herd and amplify them.
After the release of their debut followed their second album Inside Story in 2009, which was acclaimed amongst their fans for its eloquent lyricism and soulful production. It was chosen as a Triple J Feature Album, FBi Album of the Week and was also favourably received by Australian music critics.
King Amongst Many
An indication of Horrorshow's third album was revealed with a song entitled "Did You Hear?", which features a horns section. On 22 December 2012, a confirmation of the third album's 2013 release was posted on the group's Facebook fan page. In early May 2013, another song "Unfair Lottery" was released on the Internet and received radio airplay. The song was made officially available in a digital format on 24 May 2013 and appears on Horrorshow's third album. The subject of "Unfair Lottery" is concerned with the racial notion of "white privilege". The music video for "Unfair Lottery" premiered on Channel V's "WTF" programme on 5 June 2013.
The band revealed the name of their third album King Amongst Many on 13 June 2013, following the rapid sale of tickets for the "Unfair Lottery" single launch shows. An album release date of 2 August 2013 was subsequently publicised in the promotional material for the Australian 'King Amongst Many Tour' that spans from September to November 2013.
The pair have sold out every headline show they have performed in Sydney. Horrorshow has also appeared at major Australian music festivals, including the Big Day Out, Splendour in the Grass and Groovin' the Moo.
In 2012, Horrorshow again supported the Hilltop Hoods on a European tour and continued in this role for the Hilltop Hoods' "Speaking in Tongues" Australian tour. The band was included in the line-up for the 2012 Brisbane Festival and performed at the Spiegeltent venue.
The following is a list of tracks on which Solo has appeared:
- Urthboy - "Them Shackles" with Jane Tyrrell from Spitshine (2009)
- Urthboy - "On Your Shoulders" with Jimblah from Smokey's Haunt (2012)
- Spit Syndicate - "Here Today Gone Tomorrow", "On & On" and "All Summer Long (Part Two)" from Towards The Light (2008)
- Spit Syndicate - "Showtime" and "Contour Lines" from Exile (2010)
- Spit Syndicate - "Venice Queen" from Best Intentions Mixtape (Part One) (2011)
- Spit Syndicate - "Along The Way" from Sunday Gentlemen (2013)
- Illy - "Red Light Green Light" with Spit Syndicate and Cisco Tavares from Long Story Short (2009)
- M-Phazes - "For What It's Worth" from Good Gracious (2010)
- Tuka - "Mr. Inside" from Feedback Loop (2012)
- Thundamentals - "Got Love" from So We Can Remember (2014)
- Chasm - "Highs And Lows" with Fashawn and David Dallas from This Is How We Never Die (2012)
- Jackie Onassis - "Back Home Again" from Juliette EP (2014)
- Hilltop Hoods - "The Underground" with Classified from Drinking From The Sun (2012)
- Mantra - "Dead Em'" with Illy, Jeremedy (Grey Ghost), Urthboy and Muph from Speaking Volumes (2011)
- Joyride - "Pretend (Cecila) Gmix" with Nick Lupi from Honourable EP
Horrorshow's third studio album release appeared in the Full Shortlist for the 9th Australian Music Prize (AMP), which was unveiled at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl in Melbourne, Australia on 26 January 2014. Selected from a 'Longlist' of 43 artists, Horrorshow was nominated for King Amongst Many, while label-mate Jimblah was nominated for his second albumPhoenix. Other artists in the Full Shortlist included Beaches and Big Scary, and the judges were presented with an original list of 300 albums.
- The Grey Space – Elefant Traks (ACE041) (16 August 2008)
- Inside Story – Elefant Traks (ACE052) (2 October 2009)
- King Amongst Many - Elefant Traks (2 August 2013)
- "Did You Hear?" – Elefant Traks (ACED068) (23 November 2011)
- "Unfair Lottery" – Elefant Traks (24 May 2013)
- "Any Other Name" (with Thelma Plum, Jimblah & Urthboy) – Elefant Traks (7 August 2015)
- urthboy (31 July 2013). "Fans are just as important as Kings". Smokey's Blog. Wordpress. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "HORRORSHOW". Brisbane Festival. Brisbane Festival 2012. 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- Elefant Traks (2012). "Horrorshow". Elefant Traks. Elefant Traks. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- Elefanttraks (6 May 2013). "Horrorshow - Unfair Lottery". YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- "HORRORSHOW TO LAUNCH NEW SINGLE LIVE". TheMusic.com.au. Street Press Australia Pty Ltd. 8 May 2013. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- "Horrorshow video premiere". V Music. Foxtel Management Pty Ltd. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Staff writer (13 June 2013). "HORRORSHOW REVEAL ALBUM DETAILS AFTER LAUNCH SELL-OUTS". The Music. Street Press Australia Pty Ltd. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Leo (28 June 2013). "HORRORSHOW ANNOUNCE ‘KING AMONSGT MANY’ TOUR". Inertia. Inertia. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- Nick Jarvis (1 July 2013). "Horrorshow announces headline performances". The Brag. Furst Media Pty Ltd. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "Hilltop Hoods 'Speaking In Tongues' National Australian Album Tour". Liveguide.com.au. Liveguide. 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "Horrorshow". Brisbane Festival 2012. Brisbane Festival 2012. 2012. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "Horrorshow - Live at the Spiegeltent | album" (Audio upload). Australian Hip Hop. Google, Inc. 25 March 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "The Full Shortlist Announced!". The 9th Coopers AMP. Coopers. 26 January 2013. Retrieved 29 January 2014.