Horse the Band
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: improve verifiability, reliability and quality of the sources (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Horse the Band|
Horse the Band in 2009. From left to right: Nathan Winneke, David Isen, Erik Engstrom, Daniel Pouliot.
|Origin||Lake Forest, California, United States|
|Genres||Nintendocore, metalcore, experimental metal|
|Labels||Combat, Koch, Pluto, LIF, Vagrant, Roadrunner|
|Past members||Jason Karuza
Jon Karel (live/session)
Horse the Band is an American band from Lake Forest, California who are best known for their 8-bit videogame-influenced sound combined with metalcore. Frontman Nathan Winneke once jokingly described their sound as "Nintendocore", although the band have gone to lengths reiterating that this merely describes the sound, not the substance.
Horse the Band was started in Lake Forest, CA in 1998 while founding members Erik Engstrom and David Isen were attending El Toro High School. The band booked its own tours starting the summer of 2002, including a three-month tour spanning seven countries.
In the summer of 2004, they embarked upon the Horse the World Tour 2004, giving way to 85 shows in 90 days, spanning seven countries throughout North America and Europe. Early 2008 saw the band planning Horse the Band Earth Tour that would travel to 40 countries starting in early March. The band stated "we've become disillusioned, bad-attitude nerds and pariahs of the established music industry. "
The band's lineup has fluctuated continuously throughout its existence, with keyboardist Erik Engstrom and guitarist David Isen as the only founding members still in the band.
The band has continuously remained active in playing live shows even as the members have begun "adult lives" and as keyboardist Erik Engstrom moved to Germany. It is unknown if they will ever release more music.
- Erik Engstrom – keyboards, LSDJ, backing vocals (1998–present)
- David Isen – guitars (1998–present)
- Nathan Winneke – lead vocals (2002–present), bass guitar (2001–2002)
- Daniel Pouliot – drums (2008–present)
- Jerimiah Bignell – bass guitar (2009–present)
- Ed Edge - triangle (2005-present)
- Secret Rhythm of the Universe (2001, self-released)
- R. Borlax (2003, Pluto Records; re-release with bonus tracks, 2007, Pluto Records)
- The Mechanical Hand (2005, Combat Records)
- Pizza (2006, Koch Records)
- A Natural Death (2007, Koch Records)
- Desperate Living (2009, Vagrant Records; released in Australia/Japan through Roadrunner Records)
- The Effing 69 World Tour (2004)
- We Flooded It, and There's Yogurt Everywhere: 48 Hours in Ukraine (2009)
- Earth Tour (2010)
- "A Million Exploding Suns"- The Mechanical Hand
- "Lord Gold Throneroom"- The Mechanical Hand
- "Birdo"- The Mechanical Hand
- "New York City"- A Natural Death
- "Murder"- A Natural Death
- "Shapeshift"- Desperate Living