Horsetooth from Fort Collins
|Elevation||7,259 ft (2,213 m) |
|Prominence||595 ft (181 m) |
|Isolation||3.46 mi (5.57 km) |
|Location||Larimer County, Colorado, U.S.|
|Parent range||Front Range foothills|
|Topo map||USGS 7.5' topographic map
Horsetooth Reservoir, Colorado
Horsetooth Mountain is a mountain summit in the foothills of the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains of North America. The 7,259-foot (2,213 m) peak is located in the Horsetooth Mountain Open Space, 7.0 miles (11.2 km) west (bearing 265°) of downtown Fort Collins in Larimer County, Colorado, United States.
The mountain is easily distinguishable by the large rock formation on its summit known as Horsetooth Rock. The formation is a prominent landmark of the nearby city of Fort Collins and often used as a symbol of that city, appearing in the official city seal. The name comes from its distinctive appearance.
The rock was previously on the private property of the Soderburg family. In 1982, it was purchased by the county as an "open space" tax acquisition. It is now a popular destination for hikers as well as mountain bikers, with trails leading to the summit. The summit offers hikers a clear view to the southwest of Longs Peak and Mount Meeker, two rugged mountains in Rocky Mountain National Park.
- List of Colorado mountain ranges
- List of Colorado mountain summits
- List of Colorado county high points
- "HORSETOOTH". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- The elevation of Horsetooth Mountain includes an adjustment of +1.018 m (+3.34 ft) from NGVD 29 to NAVD 88.
- "Horsetooth Mountain, Colorado". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- "Horsetooth Mountain". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Definitions from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|News from Wikinews|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|
- "Horsetooth Mountain Open Space". Larimer County.